Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

batman train

Started by jboot111, February 08, 2011, 12:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jboot111

i have a batman train and was wondering does anyone else have one

Jim Banner

To be honest, I have never even seen a batman train.  Tell us a bit more about it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

i know back in the 1970s tyco had boxcars with various superheroes on them. is this what you are referring to?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

Its a Hawrthone Village train.  My wife bought the ON30 M & M Christmas train which came with 4 cars and then they kept sending & billing us for others until we finally said enough and asked them to cancel our subscription. It came, as I suspect the batman set does with a circle of EZ track and a standard Bachmann DC train set power pak.  It may or may not be On30 which means its narrow gauge O that runs on HO track. (For those who are not familiar with On30).

We usethe  M & M train as a non operating display during the year and as one of our under tree trains at Christmas.  I have no regets about buying it excpt Bradford/ Hawthone keeps sending us more offers in the form of junk mail. 

jonathan

I have an A-Team train set... very cheap cars and shark diesel, you  know the kind.  It came with the van and A-team figures.  One of these days, I'll paint Murdock, BA, Face and the Colonel and put 'em in a quiet corner on my layout.  Now I'm showing my age.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

i looked up the train set on hawthorne villiage's site.... i guess "heirloom quality" is a way of overcharging people?

to see what i mean, let's take a look at this set and an equivalent bachmann set, the royal gorge.

for the hawthorne villiage set, 3 payments of "only" 69.95 plus s&h of 8.99 for a total of $236.82. for this modest cost you get, powered f7a and an f7b. not specified if the b unit is powered or dummy. i passenger car. 16 pieces of track, 4 straights and a full circle of 18" radius (which will probably work poorly given the size of the passenger car.) and a power pack.......oh, and lest i forget, a batman figurine.......

the royal gorge set lists for $180. mail order it and i guarantee you will save enough to cover the cost of s&h which should be about half what hawthorne charges. for this price you get, 2 powered f7s, an ans a b unit. 2 passenger cars. the power pack, and 20 pieces of track. (4 straights and a full circle of 22" radius which the passenger cars will like much better.) but no batman figurine......

is a batman paint job and a figurine worth more than the cost of a passenger car, 4 extra pieces of track, and $56.82? i guess that's up to the buyer.......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jboot111

i have a dummy either ftb or f7b, 6 passenger cars (varying), 5 boxcars (varying but one coupler broke on one of them so 4), a bat signal car and a caboose

jboot111

i pull it with my sante fe not all at once of course ;D

Joe323

The Passenger cars are the M & M work fine on 18" radius EZ track.  I suspect this will be same on the Batman set.  The M & M set is actually my wifes so while I agree with jward about the cost somethings just aren't worth worryng about.  She really wanted it for the tree so we got it.

spanky30

Holy price hike !!!!     Jward

jward

yeah that's what i said too....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbsmith

No,,But i looked it up anyways.Cool graphics!   

All that really matters is if YOU like it. 8) ;D

And that is what those Hawthorn trains are about, to appeal to those who DO like that sort of thing.
To some the cost is worthwhile, others would not give a nickel for them.
Hawthorn trains are not at all aimed at the rivet counting everything MUST be prototypical crowd.