News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how to test

Started by POPPAPAT, February 17, 2011, 12:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POPPAPAT

Hello everyone is there any way to test an engine without track...? The reason I ask is because I go to flea markets and yard sales and I wanna test them before I buy them.  Is that possible and how...? thank you.

ACY

You will need at the very least a power source that is properly rated for your locomotive and probably an outlet unless you use a battery.

Jim Banner

Carry a fresh 9 volt alkaline battery with you.  Its terminals are the right distance apart to span the wheels of an H0 locomotive.  With an N-scale locomotive, you will have to angle the battery to touch one terminal to a left wheel and one terminal to a right wheel.

One caution: DO NOT CARRY A 9 VOLT BATTERY IN YOUR POCKET ALONG WITH KEYS, COINS OR ANYTHING ELSE METAL.  If shorted, the battery can become extremely hot or even explode.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

DoubleDAZ

It I did this a lot, I'd tack a piece of track to a scrap board (1x4, 1x6 1x8, etc.).  If I was interested in both HO and N, I'd attach a piece of each.  I'd put some alligator clips on a 9-volt battery.  When I want to test an engine, I'd clip the battery to the appropriate track and test away.  You could even make the board 3'-4' long to give you some running room and add something to control/reverse speed.

James in FL

I carry a 9v battery to every train show.
I also second Jim's caution.

Good Luck