News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers

Started by Ron McF, February 10, 2011, 01:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron McF

Hi,

I've just bought a three-pair pack of Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers (#42531) to test them out. The pack contains one pair each of short, medium and long shank couplers. The short and long shank couplers have a T-shank, but the medium couplers have a hole (about 1mm diameter I guess) instead of a T at the end of the shank.

Can anyone say what the medium shank coupler was designed to be used for?

Regards,
Ron

hoboblues75

I actually figured this out.  The one you are referring to I believe goes on some of the diesel locomotives.  The B23-7 is one specific example.

Ron McF

Thanks Hoboblues.  I found exploded drawings of the H16-44 and B23-7 at the following URL, and you are correct.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/references_2010.php

I'm not sure why Bachmann would package these with the T-shank couplers, as they seem to have very limited application.

Thanks again.
Ron

Albert in N

The dummy coupler with a hole also seems to fit the Spectrum SD-45 as it has the same tiny phillips screw pocket as both my Bachmann B30-7 units.  Dummy knuckle couplers are useful if you want something better than old-style Rapido couplers, but don't want to invest the time and money for Micro-Trains couplers.   Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers mate well with Micro-Trains or Athearn McHenry couplers on my layout, but do not mate well with the smaller Kato couplers.  When I want to switch cars, I use Micro-Train coupler equipped rolling stock and locomotives.  If I want to run trains without unanticipated uncoupling over the track uncoupling magnets, I use the dummy coupler equipped cars.  Both types of couplers look good and eliminate the toy train look of the old style Rapido couplers.