News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Track question

Started by Martha, February 09, 2011, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martha

I just acquired the HO Bachmann Power House train set. Once assembled it measures about 42 inches wide. Is there a way to decrease that size? I would like it to measure about 24 inches. I don't need all the extras this set came with. The width is the issue.

jonathan

Martha,

The best you could hope for is 15" radius track (available in most hobby stores).  That would make your oval about 31" wide.  There is a strong possibility, your trains would not run on such tight curves.  They might drive off the edge, if not designed to run on such tight curves.

If the set came with 20" radius curves (unusual), that is probably as sharp as they turn.  Sometimes we get lucky and trains not designed for it, will actually run on 18" radius curves, or 15" radius curves.  I have some, but it's not the 'norm', if you will. 

You could experiment and pick up a pack of 15" radius curves, just to see what happens.

The other option is a point-to-point layout.  The trains go back and forth, instead of round and round.  Then, you could set up your trains as narrow as you wish.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help.

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

I'm thinking the 42" number refers to that mat it sits on when all set up. The track appears to be 18" radius.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER8c-zX8cHk
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

no matter what you do you are not going to fit that train set on a 24" table. not and have a circle of track to run on. if that is the most space you have perhaps n scale would better serve your needs.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

...OR you could dispense with those cute little circles of track (wherein the train chases its tail) and design a point-to-point plan (possibly a switching problem like the Timesaver). Check out the website below for many ideas on track plans for small areas:

Good luck with your plans,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"