Adding Sound to a DCC on Board 40 and 45 Locomotive

Started by dpffitz, February 11, 2011, 03:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpffitz

I'm looking for add on sound for Bachmann Diesel Locomotives in the 40 & 45 series. The store that usually helps me with service didn't know of a product that would fit ??? A friend mentioned Sound track
as a possibility.   ???
Dennis FitzGerald

ACY

Unless you are going to permanently double head/mu them to a dummy (where you would put the decoder and speaker inside) or going to mill out the frame and remove/relocate some items, there is not enough room for a sound decoder, decent sized speaker and baffle.

Doneldon

dp-

You might be able to somehow squeeze things in, especially if you mill the frame, but you won't end up with quality sound because our little trains use very small speakers and they are unable to reproduce the full range of sound (particularly low frequencies) without a functional baffle. The value of a permanently-connected dummy loco is that you can double up on the speakers and essentially use the entire loco body for your baffle. You can also use a freight car or caboose for your speaker vehicle which might look a little more realistic than having permanently connected double-headed switchers.

-- D

dpffitz

Super idea.  I didn't think about that one.  I have several dummy engines that could be used.  Thanks for sharing.
Dennis FitzGerald

richg

I have no idea about a series 40 but the 44 ton can take a LokSound Micro and 16mm x 35mm speaker.
Did not know there is a 45 series.
A 45 ton can take a LokSound Micro and I think a 3/4 inch speaker. I saw an article somewhere about this but have not done this.
I have done the 44 ton. A little bit of Dremel work needed on the frame.
Neither are plug & play.

Rich

ACY

I think he might be talking about a GP-40 and SD-45.

uncbob

Why  not put the speaker in a freight car right after the engine similar to the speaker inn the tender for steamers