News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

484 Niagara Steam Locomotive

Started by myhat50, February 14, 2011, 10:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myhat50

What is the minimum radius turn for this Engine.

ACY

22 inches is the manufacturer's suggested minimum radius. I know it will derail very frequently on 18" radius.

Doneldon

hat-

It depends on the loco. Some will mysteriously derail and others will equally mysteriously stay on the track. You just have to try it to see which you have.
                                                                                        -- D

uncbob

Quote from: Doneldon on February 14, 2011, 11:29:18 PM
hat-

It depends on the loco. Some will mysteriously derail and others will equally mysteriously stay on the track. You just have to try it to see which you have.
                                                                                        -- D

That can be due to the cables going to the tender
How they line up is very critical

ACY

Quote from: uncbob on February 15, 2011, 08:04:49 AM
That can be due to the cables going to the tender
How they line up is very critical
Bob that is a reason they may derail, but the point is that, there will be times when no reason for the derailment can be identified, except for you are running on 18" radius track. For a lot of my larger Bachmann steam, I have locos that have no apparent issues and they will derail on 18" radius but not on 22" radius.

uncbob

The cables tend to kink more and push the tender offline more on the tighter radius but maybe it is the amount of play in the drivers from engine to engine

ACY

I think it has to do the the second thing you mentioned, some are more rigid which causes problems on 18" radius.