News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 DCC decoder replacement

Started by lmartin780, February 15, 2011, 01:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmartin780

Good morning Folks,

I bought a Bachmann 4-8-4 northern with DCC on board (Santa Fe 3781). I removed the stock DCC decoder and the board that it was mounted on and installed a Tsunami 1000 heavy steam DCC with sound.

All works well, except the lights don't work.  Are the stock lights filament or LED? Is there something special I need to do in programming the new decoder?  I did not put a resistor in when I installed it.... did I blow the bulb??

Any help is appreciated, thanks, Larry

Wayne32

Hi Larry,
I'm not an expert in this but I have looked into it.  I have a 2-8-4 that I want to replace the decoder in with a Tsunami.  All the recent Bachmann steamers I've seen use LEDs for lights.  They require a resistor wired in series with each LED of about 680 ohms, 1/4 watt.  See the Tsunami Installation guide at
http://soundtraxx.com/manuals/tsuinstallation.pdf as it will give you a lot of information.  There were probably resistors on the board that you removed.  I don't know if you damaged the LED's but you might try a resistor and see if it works.
Hope this helps.
Wayne

uncbob

Quote from: lmartin780 on February 15, 2011, 01:34:38 PM
Good morning Folks,

I bought a Bachmann 4-8-4 northern with DCC on board (Santa Fe 3781). I removed the stock DCC decoder and the board that it was mounted on and installed a Tsunami 1000 heavy steam DCC with sound.

All works well, except the lights don't work.  Are the stock lights filament or LED? Is there something special I need to do in programming the new decoder?  I did not put a resistor in when I installed it.... did I blow the bulb??

You burned out the bulbs just Like I did on the 2-8-4
Needs them resistors
I am running with no lights

richg

Quote from: uncbob on February 19, 2011, 09:08:42 PM
Quote from: lmartin780 on February 15, 2011, 01:34:38 PM
Good morning Folks,

You burned out the bulbs just Like I did on the 2-8-4
Needs them resistors
I am running with no lights

I think he means you burnt out the LED's.  No such thing as LED bulbs.
The locos with bulbs are 12 violt bulbs. No resistor needed.

Rich