News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 0-6-0 Rod Removal

Started by CycleTruck, February 14, 2011, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CycleTruck

I tried to disassemble my 0-6-0 for cleaning and a lube job. One cylinder broke off, so I ordered these from Bachmann:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_155&products_id=866

They have a few more rods on than the originals, but I would have to remove the old rods from the drivers first. Is that a pin holding the rods on or a screw? The head is round.

CycleTruck

Never mind, I found the answer  :)

CNE Runner

Just for my edification: What was the answer?

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

CycleTruck

They're pins, and those SOBs were in TIGHT!

woliners

Yeah, I just broke mine off (brand-new set of wheels!) Also, the pins are different for the 2-6-2 than they are for the 0-6-0.  They have a hex shaft to prevent the extra-fancy linkage from free-spinning.  And there is a teeny-weeny, itty-bitty, little retaining clip that holds the entire assembly on from the outside so you shouldn't have to remove the 2-6-2 pins from the wheels.  I found that out a bit late.  Furthermore, the 2-6-2 wheel set I ordered came with the pins installed but no retaining clips.......of course I lost my old ones right off the bat.  They flew off into carpet heaven. 

CycleTruck

I keep a big ol' magnet handy, for just such occasions. You'd be surprised at what comes out of carpet heaven. Got my retrieving magnet at harborfreight for about $15.

CNE Runner

CycleTruck - Thanks for the answer...one never knows when one will need a particular piece of information. Also the suggestion of having a retrieving magnet handy is excellent (I'll stop by our local Chinese tool store...I mean Harbor Freight and purchase one).

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Bill Baker

It's my experience that missing parts fly into a parallel universe.  I wonder if the folks at CERN know this!
Bill