News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ERA Layout

Started by john.001, February 16, 2011, 07:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.001

I'm building a small 4x8 layout and while I've not focused on any particular ERA (20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, etc.) I've decided to reformat the layout so it focuses on a particular ERA - probably 1930-1950, but frankly, have no idea how to determine which locomotive/engine/rolling stock comes from that particular ERA.  The structures, people and cars typically can be identified, but not the locomotives, etc.

Can you help?  Are there any websites for HO scale that focuses on ERAs?

jward

try steam locomotives and 40 foot freight cars. a few early diesels such as the emd ft may be appropriate. lots of heasvyweight passenger cars.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

1930-1950 is a pretty broad era.  Railroads in 1930 were still using a lot of equipment built in the WWI timeframe, or even earlier.  Lots of wood bodied freight cars, small to medium size locos, virtually no diesels.  At the other end, by 1950 domestic steam locomotive production had ceased (the N&W being the lone exception).  There was still some older steam power around from before WWII, but the major roads had gone through some serious modernization to 2-8-4's, 4-8-4's, 4-6-4's, along with engines dating from the late 1920's and pre-Depression early 1930's.  However, by 1950 the diesels had made substantial inroads and even the the modern steam locos from the 1940's were beginning to be sidelined.  You may wish to narrow your field a bit.