News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Beginner with HO E-Z Track - Switch Wires

Started by depazzijack, January 18, 2011, 04:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

depazzijack

Hi all, as an older beginner (2 weeks) with a 5yo enthusiast I am stumped by the lack of power to my switches.   I have the Smokey Mtn analogue set and have just bought the "Your First Railroad Track Pack".  Some of the posts I have read would suggest either:
1.   I have it wired wrong and it will work once I sort it out, or
2.   I am a goose and I need an additional power pack of some description.

Can anyone please assist with my dilemma before the enthusiast shorts the tracks with his tears

RGC

The turnouts get power from the AC terminals out the top of the controller ( if yours has them) The red wires go from there to the slide switches that came with the setup. The green wires from the turnouts plug into the slide switches also. You can chain the slide switches together with the red wire with black plugs on both ends if the setup came with them.

Doneldon

dpj-

If your power pack doesn't have accessory terminals you can use
any old transformer or wall wart (12 volt, give or take) you might
have laying around the house. Just cut the plug off and connect
the wires to your switch controls.

Welcome to the hobby. And the same goes for your little fella (I'm
assuming). You're gonna love it, especially the parts with your
grandson (I'm still asuming.) I look forward to hearing more from
you on this board and seeing your progress.
                                                                               -- D

daxdog

I was just having to figure out switches as well.  This may be an obvious statement to 99.99% of the people on this board, but it took me a minute or two to figure it out.  After sliding the switch into position, you must then press down on the switch to actually make the track move from one side to the other.  Hope this helps (or hope that you are not as dumb as me!!!)

RGC

Quote from: daxdog on January 19, 2011, 09:57:05 PM
I was just having to figure out switches as well.  This may be an obvious statement to 99.99% of the people on this board, but it took me a minute or two to figure it out.  After sliding the switch into position, you must then press down on the switch to actually make the track move from one side to the other.  Hope this helps (or hope that you are not as dumb as me!!!)

Good point. I forgot about having to push down on them. I built a control box with toggle switches for the turnout so I never used the ones that came with the turnouts and totally forgot about having to push on them.

Doneldon

RGC-

I hope your toggle switches for your turnouts are the center off variety and that
you return the toggle to the center. Pumping electricity into switch machines,
other than slow-motion machines, will burn them out.
                                                                                       -- D

RGC

My toggles are (on) off (on) for my turnouts. I use mini ones so I can get 12 in a 2X3.5" box.

depazzijack

Quote from: depazzijack on January 18, 2011, 04:20:06 AM
Thanks all for your assistance.  The problem was an additional power cord that was not required that threw me.

It was also the lack of knowledge that daxdog pointed out about having to press down on the switches once they are moved into position.

Cheers all.   Depazzijack

Tedshere

I'm another beginner with much the same problem. I have a Bachman train set that came with a transformer and the steel alloy EZ track. I then bought the Nickle Silver $100. "Your first tack pack".  The red and green wires in the track pack don't connect to the transformer. And there is zero mention of this part of the process in the otherwise explicit directions. I'm sure I need another piece of equipment, but have no idea what it might be called, or what it would look like so I could pick one out of a cataloge. Will I also nee a new and upgraded transformer????? So far this has not been the world's best hobby!
    Thanks to whoever answers!!!

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan