How do I open up the coal tender to install DCC sound

Started by Pushrod, February 19, 2011, 03:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushrod

I have a Bachmann HO Baldwin 2-8-0 consolidated engine and tender (Western Maryland #766) and am trying to install an MRC steam sound decoder in it. I can't figure out how to open the tender to install it. I've released the two tabs under the chassis in the rear, but there is something else holding the body on inside that I can't find. I even pulled out the coal load to look. Can anyone with this engine who has disasembled their tender before help me out? Thanks in advance.
-P

r0bert

Pacific Northern

You may or may not have erratic running behaviour once you install the decoder. You should cut the capacitors on the Bachmann circuit board.
Pacific Northern

Pushrod

Quote from: r0bert on February 19, 2011, 05:38:48 PM
there is a screw in the bottom near the front truck
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H114X-IS001.PDF

Thank r0bert, that was it. You rock! Don't know how I missed that on the diagram!

Pushrod

Quote from: Pacific Northern on February 19, 2011, 05:51:18 PM
You may or may not have erratic running behaviour once you install the decoder. You should cut the capacitors on the Bachmann circuit board.

Pacific Northern, are they the four black box-like units hard soldered on the board or the heat shrinked unit wired into the board.
Also, which of the 6 wires coming into the tender are the voltage pickups from the engines wheels?

It looks like my diagram is different then that r0bert linked to, mine didn't show the chassis removal screw.

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Pushrod

Pushrod

Got the sound dcc decoder soldered in and the tender back together. Hooked it up to the engine and back on the track and it worked perfectly. Thanks for everyones help.