News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with Shay

Started by Sockeye, February 21, 2011, 07:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sockeye

I have a two truck shay with maybe 4 hours total run time, spaced a couple of years apart.  When I set it up this year (Christmas), the wheels would turn but it would not move unless I put my finger (gently) on the stack to give it some added weight.  Needless to say, I only tried that 3 times, for maybe 2 feet of running.

I called my local hobby store and was told I probably needed to return it to Bachmann.

Is this good advice?  Do these things go bad sitting in the box?

Thanks.

richg

I guess this is On30 or HO. Probably not DCC.
There was not much info.
Clean the track and wheels first. Don't assume looks clean means, is clean.
Use a lint free cloth and alcohol on the track. Q tips and alcohol on the wheels. I believe there are sliding contacts where power is transmitted from the trucks up into the loco wiring where the frame sits onto the trucks.
"Maybe" a cracked gear issue as some of these have had that happen.

Rich

Sockeye

Sorry.  It is On30, Item No. 25663, T-Boiler Two Truck Shay.  Not DCC.

I had sanded the tracks lightly and had success running HO diesels and the little Bachmann Clinton train, but not this.

Having just read the postings on cleaning track (below), I see I made a beginners mistake there.

richg

Quote from: Sockeye on February 21, 2011, 08:10:13 PM
Sorry.  It is On30, Item No. 25663, T-Boiler Two Truck Shay.  Not DCC.

I had sanded the tracks lightly and had success running HO diesels and the little Bachmann Clinton train, but not this.

Having just read the postings on cleaning track (below), I see I made a beginners mistake there.

Ok, I found the link I mentioned before. Look at the two contacts that transmit power up into the loco electronics. A set on each truck. Something to consdier if a loco has been sitting for a while.

http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4677

Rich

Sockeye

Thank you, Rich.  I will look at that connection problem area.  The images are helpful on that site, but I would not want to take it apart like that.