News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc equipped shay

Started by andrew25, February 28, 2011, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew25

i got a dcc equipped shay with sound and i dont have dcc is there a way to run the train on this setup

richg

Use your regular DC power pack. You cannot control any sounds. If the loco comes used, someone might have disabled the DC control feature. You did not mention the place you bought the loco from.
You will have to turn up the control higher than you would with a DC loco to get the loco to run.

My 4-6-0 with Tsunami sound has jumpers for DC operation. I have to assume the jumpers just disconnect the motor and lights so they run on DC and the Tsunami is still powered. Never tried.

Others here might comment if they have tried this.

I have a DCC controller.

Rich

andrew25

Older shay equipped with dcc and sound were only single stage not dual state therefore only work on dcc

richg

Quote from: andrew25 on February 28, 2011, 09:09:15 PM
Older shay equipped with dcc and sound were only single stage not dual state therefore only work on dcc

Go back to your first post on this issue. You did not say that this is an older Shay with sound and with this message, you are telling me the loco will not run on DC. I guess you answered your question.
You have to unplug the decoder and plug in the DC adapter.
I was not aware that Bachmann sold a Shay with sound before the Tsunami versions came out.
Maybe the loco was with the older SoundTraxx LC decoder which is not dual mode.
You should include more info in your post. Helps others understand what the complete issue is.
A picture of the inside of the loco PC board and decoder would be a big help.

Rich

richg

I did some Google searching and I remember someone here a couple years ago saying the first Bachmann Shay locos with sound came with the SoundTraxx LC decoder.
Again, simply unplug the decoder and plug in the DC jumper. Just no sound.

You can buy a SoundTraxx Micro and solder the wires to an eight pin plug, plus two wires to the speaker. Two wires to the capacitor. The decoder is a little smaller than the LC decoder.
The Logging Micro is recommended by SoundTraxx. The decoder comes complete with instructions. Not sure it will run on DC out of the box as I have never tried this. I run DCC.
Others may comment on the Tsunami you install yourself.

Do a Google search for bachmann shay lc decoder to see what I found.

Google should be your best friend.

Rich