Anyone know about the bulb headlight in some models of Decapod?

Started by duncanrinaldo, June 22, 2007, 11:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncanrinaldo

The decapod seems impossible to take apart. >:(  I have successfully fit a Tsunami and small oval speaker in the tender but I can't get the cover off the front of the loco to check the light and replace with an LED if necessary.

I contacted Bachmann tech support and they tell me there is an LED already in there....I wasn't too convinced as they shouted back and forth about what they remembered of the Decapod...and they got it wrong about the tender.....there is a bulb in there.

I figured out  just as I suspected there is a bulb and not an LED for the headlight.  Switching the leads from positive to negative and applying a little power, the bulb lit up regardless.  An LED can't do that!

I sure got the impression on the telephone that the crew at Bachmann tech were not interested in my questions and not willing to think very deeply about what they were saying >:(...no checking with documentation or admitting to older models....just yelling across the room..."yeah yeah they're LEDs in the Decapod".  "Oh you say you can see the one in the tender is a bulb?" "Well, ok, but the headlight is an LED. Yes,Yes, we are sure."

Well now, unless I have an old model which I just took the shrink wrap off, somebody at Bachmann is mistaken.

Now I would be grateful for information either

a) how to get the darn front of the loco off to change it to LED (my preferred solution) Anyone every do this?  It seems glued on!

or

b) what kind of bulb do you think it is?  I think it is probably a 1.5V or something.  (I read of someone who blew one out immediately.)  Question: Will the resident light board have a resistor to protect this?

Thanks to all who respond.

rikc9

Go to trains.com, the Cisco Kid seems to have solved the problem.
:) :)
He must be your twin brother.

rikc9