Pere Marquette Berkshires -- New Models???

Started by PMtrainman52, March 05, 2011, 03:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMtrainman52

Have the Pere Marquette Berkshires been re-issued or re-tooled? I just noticed that the "new" (?) Pere Marquette Berkshires, #1225 (item 50901) and #1218 (item 50902) now have the steam dome located behind the sand dome. The N and N-1 class of PM berkshires had the steam dome forward of the sand box, and the previous models had the correct configuration. What gives? Item 50902 is even pictured on the website in this incorrect configuration.  Why the design change toward a historically innacurate model?

On the other hand, I am quite happy with my Bachmann PM berkshires (both 1225 and 1218) and my NKP 765, though I find the pilot trucks a bit light and unless weight is added will tend to derail on facing point turnouts.

Also, what would be the best method for adding sound to these locomotives? Any suggestions or success stories?

Thanks  --Mark 

Atlantic Central

Mark,

The artwork is incorrect, likely based on some preproduction models. The first catalog they appeared in had the incorrect photos, but all the models actually sold have the correct N, N1 configuration.

The 2010 catalog has correct pictures so I'm not sure why the wrong ones are still out there.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Mark, I just checked the product info on this site, 1225 is shown correctly, 1218 shown incorrectly. But I assure you the actual models sold are still correct.

Sheldon

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Atlantic Central

Mark,

To some of your other points. I don't know what brand of turnouts you are using but my Berks have no issues with the front trucks.

Addtionally, I have added over five oz. of weight to the locomotives and greatly improved their pulling power.

And, most of my berks are actually now Mikado's, free lanced after the DT&I 800 class Mikes built by LIMA.

Here is a photo of one before the paint shop:

Here are some photos of the added weight:

In addition to the weight shown, I fill the sand box and steam dome with lead and add 1/2 oz stick on weight to the inside of the backhead.

Sheldon