Pick-Ups for Model Power 0-4-0 Tender Loco

Started by Sunshine Express, March 05, 2011, 12:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I have a Model Power 0-4-0 Tender Loco,and it is a good performer.Since changing from Peco Insulfrog Points to Electrfrog,it switches through all these without a stop,even at creeping speed. But it all came to an end when I directed it across my Atlas 19% Crossover,full stop.
I need advice on obtaining suitable pick-ups for it,and how best to install these.   
Thanks Owen
Owen C Robinson

richg

Install some all metal wheels and install Kadee #5 coupler springs as pickups. Solder #30 stranded wire to conduct power.
I did this with a Bachmann standard 0-6-0 oil tender.

Rich

Doneldon

Sunny-

Rich is right on the mark with his fix although I wouldn't try to have a contact on the wheel edge as shown in his second photo. Use the backs of the wheels as he shows in his first photo.

Good luck!
                                         -- D

richg

Both contacts ride on the back of the wheels on the uninsulated and insulated sides. In one photo the contact came loose from the truck as I set it up for the photo. I then drilled and tapped for 00-90 machine screws.

Below is Harold's idea that I used. Download the page into your PC because it goes away sometimes.
Be advised. That link was dead about a week ago.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

I use to have a article where someone had the wipers riding on top of the wheel threads but cannot find it right now.

Rich

Len

If you'll be adding power pickups to a lot of cars and locos, you can get phosphor bronze sheets from Micro-Mark:

http://www.micromark.com/Phosphor-Bronze-Sheet-5-Inches-x-7-Inches-Pkg-of-3,8335.html

The picture shows a rail slider made from a sheet, but personally I prefer using straight strips as axle wipes for HO. Especially with 6-wheel trucks that don't leave much room for a rail slider.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

CNE Runner

Tomar also makes a line of electrical power pick ups that have a multitude of uses. I use their locomotive pick ups to power transfer tables (traversers) and, in the past, sector plates...before discovering the wonders of stereo mini-plugs.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

I prefer the all wheel pickups for the tenders when running DCC. I converted my Spectrum steamers to all tender wheel pickups with the Kadee springs as they only pickup on one side of each truck.

Rich

Sunshine Express

Thanks everyone for the instructions,help,and links with great photos on Pick Ups for Tenders etc.. Making them from Kadee Springs is brilliant,I love the innovation,great stuff  .Owen
Owen C Robinson

Sunshine Express

I have successfully adapted and fitted Kadee # 5 Spring Pick Ups to my Model Power 0-4-0 Tender Loco. The cross members of the tender trucks are moulded two piece,and to tap and drill for a retaining screw for the wipers,I first filled and glued these with pieces of scrap plastic. Luckily I had 2 only tiny "Bachmann Screws"which made a neat job.
I made all the mistakes,like left and right is different upside down,and got some short circuit warnings,and then found I had made the connecting wires too short,making the tender rise  slightly off the rails .
Finally with all the "old age goof ups " rectified  it crept right over that Atlas Dead Frog Crossing 10 out of 10 on test. At 80 and with a Macular Eye problem,I found the illustrated instructions very helpful. Thanks  again to all for your help.  Owen
Owen C Robinson

richg

Quote from: Sunshine Express on March 10, 2011, 02:02:18 AM
I have successfully adapted and fitted Kadee # 5 Spring Pick Ups to my Model Power 0-4-0 Tender Loco. The cross members of the tender trucks are moulded two piece,and to tap and drill for a retaining screw for the wipers,I first filled and glued these with pieces of scrap plastic. Luckily I had 2 only tiny "Bachmann Screws"which made a neat job.
I made all the mistakes,like left and right is different upside down,and got some short circuit warnings,and then found I had made the connecting wires too short,making the tender rise  slightly off the rails .
Finally with all the "old age goof ups " rectified  it crept right over that Atlas Dead Frog Crossing 10 out of 10 on test. At 80 and with a Macular Eye problem,I found the illustrated instructions very helpful. Thanks  again to all for your help.  Owen

Great news. I love it when a plan comes together. I am 70 with trifocals so I understand. I average out the shaking hand movement when soldering.  :)
I forgot to mention the Gotchas when doing the truck pickups.
I have added weight to the tenders also. I use lead bird shot from a gun shop. Easy to distribute in the tender. I did that with the Bachmann oil tender I posted which also has a speaker and sound decoder in it.

Rich

richg

Quote from: richg on March 05, 2011, 06:09:29 PM
Both contacts ride on the back of the wheels on the uninsulated and insulated sides. In one photo the contact came loose from the truck as I set it up for the photo. I then drilled and tapped for 00-90 machine screws.

Below is Harold's idea that I used. Download the page into your PC because it goes away sometimes.
Be advised. That link was dead about a week ago.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

I use to have a article where someone had the wipers riding on top of the wheel threads but cannot find it right now.

Rich

As I figured, Harold's page with the pickups is gone again. Harold must be watchching and frustrating people again. Go figure.

Rich