News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay regear

Started by NWsteam, March 15, 2011, 10:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

Just received the parts I ordered (new gears) and installed them. Now all the wheels are powered again but the last truck wobbles really bad and derails the tender at random...even on straight pieces of track. I tried taking it apart and putting it back together again several times. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Brad

Ken Huck

Hi Brad,

I've done four of these re-gears and the only thing I can think of is that you may have reattached the truck too tightly to the frame.  Check to see that it pivots side-to-side and rocks fore and aft AND side-to-side.  Then make sure the drive-shaft slides easily in and out.  It takes a little "tweaking" but, it's worth the effort.

Hope this Helps.

Ken

NWsteam

Ken,

Thanks for your reply. "Tweaking" is an understatement. I added a little oil to the universal joint between the 2nd and 3rd trucks. This greatly decreased the wobble and removed the derail issue. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now all that's left to do is an annoying squeak that has developed. Did your locomotives squeak after regearing? I oiled it up but it didn't really get rid of it.

Many Thanks,

Brad

Ken Huck

I don't have any 'squeaking', I must've done something right.  My Rivarossi Heisler squeaks though...but I think it's supposed to.

Ken

Doneldon

NWSteam-

If you've ever seen geared steamers in real life you've also heard them! They squeak, rumble, clunk and groan constantly. For me, it's a big part of their charm.
                                                          -- D

NWsteam

Doneldon,

I would have to agree with you there. They are fantastic! (I just purchased a brass two truck shay on eBay that is stunning). Unfortunately this high pitched squeak is very out of place.

I'm also back to derailing at random so the oil was a temporary fix. I'm running on a loop that has 28' radius and is without a grade so trackwork is not the issue. I think I'll give the service department a call in the morning.

-Brad