Painting Window Trim. I need a little help.

Started by Dusten Barefoot, March 06, 2011, 01:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusten Barefoot

Can ya'll tell me your methods for painting window trim on locomotive cabs? I don't know why I ordered an all black locomotive, but I did. I tried paiting the window trim a nice red, but in the end I got paint on the windows, and it looks as if a murder happend in the cab. I found out wood, is the best bet for getting the paint off without scratching the windows. I hand painted it them. As of now I have no air paint gun to paint anything with, and I really do need to invest in one.

By the way; does bachamnn's parts & services have windows? I broke one in half :P ???

Thanks
Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

NarrowMinded

if you absolutely can't take the windows out, Ive done this with diecast trucks I repainted.

use a small brush to apply a very thin coat of vasoline to the window. after your paint is completely dry clean it off with a Qtip.

you only need enough to make the window look smudged it keeps the paint from sticking.

NM

Steve Magee

If the "mullions" are cast into the clear plastic, you could use a technique I once used on a Walthers New River Mining kit - on an offcut of pine, slop some paint of your chosen colour to make a nice but not too deep puddle - wet wood is what you are aiming for. Press the window onto it and the raised portions are covered. Put aside to dry.

There was also another variant of this I remember reading in the model rr press some time after that used a similarly treated flat pencil eraser to achieve the same result.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

lvrr325

Sell it and buy one with red trim.   They seem to be less desirable, so unless it's out of production they can be had pretty reasonable.  I thought about doing the opposite a while back but I waited and got the all black one I wanted a little later. 

lostcreekrr

Hi
I have successfully used a product sold by Humbrol called "mask-all" It is like a rubberised paint that you apply carefully to the windows before painting either by air brush or paint brush. Let the "mask-all' dry, paint your trim and once the paint has dried you just get a #11 exacto blade in a corner of the window and peel the "mask-all" away. It a great product. I use it all of the time. And it lasts for years in the bottle.
Have fun

Rod.