News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding DCC to older Spectrum 86030

Started by PapaDiesel, March 19, 2011, 09:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaDiesel

Hello - I'm trying to get back into the hobby. I have 5 Bachmann HO pre-DCC Spectrum GE Dash 8-40CW locomotives, never used, still in the boxes - one of them is Item 86030, another is item 86022. I was wondering if someone could tell me if it's worth the effort and cost to add DCC to these locomotives?

I call these pre-DCC because they are not even DCC ready.

Not sure if the motor is connected to chassis. I think item 86030 is not connected to chassis, while item 86022 appears to be connected to the chassis. (Based on parts illustration that came in box.)

I guess I'm asking if it would be difficult to add DCC? I know I would need a wire harness version of DCC and soldering skills. Could someone recommend a web page with how-to instructions?

ACY

It is not worth it, because you can buy a similar loco that has an 8-pin plug (and a Bachmann DCC decoder) for only $45-$50, while your locos without DCC are only worth about $20-$25 each.

PapaDiesel

That's what I was afraid of.   :'(   I went to WGH Train Show in Tampa today and you're right. I did see Bachmann non-Spectrum DCC locos there for $40-45 - I purchased one to try it out - works good.

Well, maybe I'll start looking at DCC with Sound.

Thanks for the reply!

ACY

I am saying you can buy a brand new Bachmann Spectrum DASH 8-40 with DCC and an 8-pin socket for $45 to $50 on ebay or other online stores. With these all you need to do is pop in a decoder of your choice (assuming you are replacing the Bachmann decoder) that has an 8-pin plug. The Bachmann standard line diesels with DCC do not have an 8-pin socket, but most of the standard line Bachmann steam engines do have an 8-pin socket.

PapaDiesel

Thanks! I'll take a look online. But while I'm an IT Manager working with computers and internet access, I still prefer the old brick and mortar hobby stores - thought I'm no fan of full retail prices.

I have found a couple of stores that sell at slightly higher than internet prices - I'll try those guys first.

Thanks for the feedback!

Doneldon

Pops-

I'm with you on patronizing my LHS but costs sometimes lead me to buy online or from ebay and train shows. I'm aware that hobby shops are dying out pretty fast and many of those which do survive don't necessarily carry a good selection of model trains. But I do my best to help keep them around.

Regarding your decoders: I urge you to consider a decoder other than a Bachmann decoder. Purchase decoders with back electromotive force circuitry (BEMF) and you'll get smoother, quieter operation, especially at slower speeds.

Welcome back to the hobby. And why not try a little steam, too?
                                                                                                      -- D

Jim Banner

Like Doneldon, I am a fan of BEMF control.  However, when I see that you have 5 diesels, all alike, I have to wonder if you run them in consists.  If so, you will find that you have to turn the BEMF function off to keep consisted locomotives from fighting with one another.

I often run mainline diesels in consists of two or three units and for that reason do not bother with BEMF in them.  Switchers are a whole different breed of cats.  They do a lot of starting, stopping and low speed running.  Here is one place where BEMF control really shines.  With BEMF you can couple onto a caboose and never spill the conductor's soup.  The other place is in steam locomotives.  Part of the fun of steam locomotives is starting them off gently and accelerating slowly to get the full benefit of seeing all the gear moving and hearing the chuff chuff sound speed up.  The only Bachmann decoders that include BEMF control are the sound decoders they install in steamers.  When you have a chance, have your local hobby shop demonstrate a Bachmann steam locomotive with sound.  Even if your schtick is 21st century freight, don't be surprised if you come home with the steamer, even if just for the occasional excursion run.  You have been warned.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

i have a much different take on installing dcc in these locomotives than acy does. my opinion is based on experience....

1. i had one of the first spectrum c40-8s. this locomotive, like so many other bachmann and spectrum locomotives has the split frame design.

2. jim banner has an excellent pictorial on converting the h16-44 to dcc. this pictorial works equally well for any split frame locomotive. even though the locomotives are not dcc ready, the conversion is not at all hard to do.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

3. since you already have these locomotives, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by converting these to dcc.

4. while these locomotives are available with dcc onboard, the standard bachmann decoder apparently does not support cv6 (max voltage) which means you cannot  tweak the speed curves on these locomotives. in order to do that, you must replace the decoder with one that supports this and other cv's....

basically, if you'd like to run two of these locomotives together on dcc, the fine tuning cannot be accomplished using the decoders in the new locomotives. so, in effect, you are not only buying a new locomotive, but a new decoder as well. why not just buy the new decoder and install in the locomotives you already have?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Your suggestion is fine, and what I would do myself, but if the person does not have any DCC experience or wants to take the easy way out then my suggestion is applicable. Of course I do not know his experience level, so I gave the suggestion that would work for anyone, everyone does not have the tools or ability to hard wire decoders, but anyone can plug a decoder into an 8-pin socket.

Jim Banner

PapaDiesel,

If you have more dollars than time or inclination, then ACY's suggestion makes sense.  But citing lack of DCC experience as a reason to not install the decoder of your choice makes no sense at all.  Every one of us had no experience with installing decoders before we installed the first one.  Somehow we survived it and so did most of the decoders.  Examples of people blowing five decoders in a row before getting one to work are very, very rare.  Stories where people studied the instructions until they understood what they were doing or sought advice from friends or from boards such as this one, and then went ahead and successfully installed a decoder, are so common as to be unremarkable.  I have taught many people how to install decoders by installing one while they look over my shoulder, then having them do one while I look over their shoulder.  Not once have they had a decoder failure.

I heartily agree with Jeffery that this is a great opportunity to learn how.  You have the locomotive.  You won't get much for it if you sell it to buy a new one.  And decoders are cheap.  Learning how to install your own is priceless.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

PapaDiesel

WOW - thanks for all the replies. After reading the thread I think I will go ahead and try to install DCC on at least one of the locos. If it works, then I'll go ahead and do the others.

If not, I'll leave them as regular DC and just have them run on their own track.

Getting back into the hobby, I've decided to make a Christmas style layout in my garage, open the garage door and let the neighborhood view the layout. Maybe I could have the DC trains available to kids to control from a pre-determined spot. And I'll modify the power pack to limit how fast the kids can make the train go.

I bet steam would rock on such a layout and kids would love it.
Steam with DCC sound... hmmm I like the idea.

Thanks for the feedback - you guys rock!

Doneldon

Pops-

If you want to build something the neighborhood will enjoy, why not consider a garden railroad? Except for the track, you can acquire locomotives and rolling stock for not a lot more than good quality HO and you get the fun of BIG trains running outdoors. People even run them in my neck of the woods, Minnesota, with few problems with freezing roadbeds or even winter operations.

-- D

Burto

Hi PapaDiesel,
Have just asked questions about same locos it would appear.I have one,#86020 Santa Fe Warbonnet.
Have your locos got black coloured flywheels like mine,no windshield wipers but two occupants.Mine has split frame in shiny alloy.A screw has been placed in the RH and LH front of frame to pick up power to the decoder installed by eBay dealer.I do not think these screws are original.Please advise if you can.Mine has a light board inside.Please see post by Burto end of March.