News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Desert King Set - Australia

Started by roddo, March 23, 2011, 01:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddo

When i placed the loco from the Desert King set on a track powered by a Hornby digital  controller it made a continuous noise like an idling diesel.
Now there is no mention of DCC or SOUND anywhere on the box and i was quite surprised.
I cant actually get the train to move but this may just be an address issue, not sure.
I didn't leave the train on the track very long as i didn't want to damage anything and have since used it on the basic oval track from the Bachmann set successfully so i know i haven't done any damage to it.
Any help or info of any sort would be much appreciated.

Cheers Roddo

jward

the humming noise you heard is a dc locomotive on track powered by dcc. some dcc controllers haev the ability to run dc locomotives on a dedicated address (00 on digitrax for example) but doing so has the potential to damage the motor. if you wish to run this locomotive on dcc, look into the various dcc manufacturers websites under decoder installs for instructions pertaining to your locomotive....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

roddo

Cheers i suspect this is what it is and i did not get a chance to try it last night.
I will repost when i have tried it but from memory its quite a significant humming that sounds just like a diesl loco.
Standby.

edit: i have run hornby dc on this track and they work but obviously different brands means different results.

roddo

Yep i just dug out the SD-40/2, it was a long time ago that i first tried it on DCC track and can say for sure that it should stay on DC.
It was the motor humming, quite badly too when running.
It does sound like a diesel idling though when stopped  ::)