News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc on dc layout

Started by dgcwood, March 23, 2011, 07:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgcwood

Just bought an  ho gs4 american freedom train with dcc for my grandson he is 8 so we will be dc for a while     instructions don't say how to make it ready for dc rails that is if we need to do anything at all   any help  thank you

ACY

I would remove the decoder and install the jumpers into the 8-pin socket for best operation.

Jim Banner

Right out of the box, it will run on dc.  It will likely require a bit higher throttle setting before it starts moving because the decoder requires some voltage to run but unless that bothers you, there is no need to open the locomotive and fiddle with the decoder and jumpers.  To make it run just like other dc locomotives, you can do as ACY suggests but it is optional.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jbsmith

Modern Bachmanns will run on DC  out of the box. No need to do anything.
There IS a slight increase in the locos top speed if the decoder is removed and that is about it.

The slightly lower top speed with the decoder left in is not an altogether a bad thing, as running a loco too fast can be the cause of derailments.

So that is my 2 bits,,,just leave it in.

NarrowMinded

I have added decoders to all my Girls thomas loco's and they run them most on DC, without exception they all run smoother and quieter with the decoders added, I guess my point is I would just leave them in.

NM

ACY

Quote from: NarrowMinded on March 24, 2011, 07:22:40 PM
I have added decoders to all my Girls thomas loco's and they run them most on DC, without exception they all run smoother and quieter with the decoders added, I guess my point is I would just leave them in.
With Bachmann decoders? Or Digitrax or some other brand decoders? I have found that Bachmann decoders are not as well suited to DC as some other brands like Digitrax. The locos usually run better if the decoders are removed if they are Bachmann, while leaving the decoder in has no impact with some other brands.