Installing a dcc decoder in gs4 locomotive

Started by Sid North, March 25, 2011, 06:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sid North

Hi.  I have a "HO"  GS4 war baby steam locomotive (item no. 11323).  Is it possible to install a dcc decoder in this unit?  It is an early version because it has a smoke unit in it.

Jim Banner

It is possible to install a decoder in any H0-scale locomotive.  Just be sure to do a stall current test to determine what current rating the decoder needs to have.

I am no expert on the Southern Pacific but have it in mind that the GS-6's were War Babies, so called because they were smaller than the earlier General Service Northerns and were built during WWII.  Anyone know for sure?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Jim-

It's always been my understanding, perhaps incorrect, that the term "war babies" was borrowed from, well, war babies, and that otherwise they were the same as pre-war locos. They were painted all  black so they wouldn't be as visible to Japanese bombers although that was, of course, just wartime histrionics.
                                                                                             -- D

Box Car Dave

It is possible to install DCC Decoder in said Locomotive.... As was mentioned you should perform testing. You also must isolate the motor and supply power to it through decoder only! However, to avoid any confusion and future problems I recommend using Bachmann decoders! After all that is what they install in there DCC Equipped models!

War Baby GS6s received there names as said... They were also painted Flat Black to camouflage from air...!

Doneldon

BCD-

I'm not so sure I agree with you about using Bachmann decoders. Bachmann motion only decoders aren't the so-called "silent" type which uses back EMF for smoother running, especially at slow speeds, and less humming/buzzing. One can get a quality BEMF motion-only decoder for under $20, only a little more than a Bachmann decoder but with significantly improved performance.

-- D

WTierce1

The GS-6s were called war Babies but I could see how someone could get the black GS-4 mixed up with the GS-6 because the GS-6s only had the black paint scheme and some of the GS-4s had a black paint scheme. Honestly those versions look almost exactly the same but the GS-6 was smaller but one major difference is the single headlight on the GS-6 and the Headlight and Marslight both on the GS-4s.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad