News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command Control Center Acting Strange

Started by riff99, March 25, 2011, 10:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riff99

Very strange circumstance today.  Our engines don't appear to want to work with the E-Z Command Controller.  Each engine's address is still the same, yet no response when we turn the knob to get them going.

I took the E-Z Controller off and tried a DC controller.  Engines all work fine with that.  So that eliminates the track as a possible issue.  Rerailer must be fine as well.  Used same wiring as well from the E-Z Controller to connect the DC Bachmann controller.  So the wiring is out as a possible culprit.  It must be the controller itself.

I disconnected the DC controller and tried the E-Z command again.  Again, engines will not move when the knob is turned.  I tried all 10 addresses on three separate DCC engines, but none will budge.  I then tried a trick I learnt about a month or so ago.  With no engines on the track, I hold down #1 address button and press the STOP button to start it flashing.  I then put a DCC engine on the track and press the decoder default address of #3.  This caused the engine to slightly move like it does whenever we change addresses for engines.  I figured all was gravy then.  NOPE!  Turn the speed dial and still no response.  Tried all addresses again.  No Go...

Is the E-Z Command Controller done?  Seems engines still respond to addresses changes from it.  Could the speed knob be the issue?  I'm lost!  Any help/ideas would be very much welcome.

GRZ

dear Riff99  I also had a strange thing, I had my Richmond 4-4-0 with sound and a few cars happly plodding down the track I went to take a video with the camera my son gave to me,Its a cannon a590, snap ed the shutter and the engine stoped like I shut the power off,after trying to find the problem I restarted the train and let it go around the layout a time or too then tried to do the pictire again and same thing again. perhaps the camera is sending a signal thats interfearing with the decoder in the engine?? the loco runs fine I used it last nite over three hrs, no problem. I wont try pictures again till I find out if my camera is a problem.. good luck in finding your problem. GRZ

NMWTRR

GRZ

I had a question as a user of the EZ command. Which controller do you use? I was curious if it was the Dynamis controller or EZ command?

Occassionally I have one loco that also does not respond to my EZ command. this past winter when it was cold it reallyacted up since it has warmed up now though it behaves.  I think in my case it is a bad solder joint but not sure.

Riff,

Not sure but your problem sounds like it is more controller related if all of your engines are not responding. Do you have a hobby shop or DCC friend nearby? If so they may be able to help you confirm your engines are responding to DCC. Also confirm what is each ones program address.

GRZ

Riff, I have the ez comand control, my layout is where the temp is around 55-60 d , and ive not had a problem with any other of my locos [hav 3] two richmonds & a 70 ton dies, no problem with them.just the tsunami. 4-4-0. tks GRZ

riff99

Well, it does appear the EZ Command Controller I have (not Dynamis...hopefully one day) is indeed in trouble.  I forgot that we had a companion DCC walk-around controller in the closet.  Hadn't been used since before Halloween.  With power off, I connected the Walk-Around to the EZ Command (they virtually look the same, except for color).  They were made to work with one another.  Any ways, today I tried a GP40 DCC on address button #2.  Went to get it going with the speed knob...no go.  Tried the same address with the Walk-Around Companion controller, turned the knob, and off she went.  Got going its regular speed; no issues.  I put down the Walk-Around and tried the EZ Command Controller again.  No response.  I was able to change its address to button #1.  Engine reacted as normal.  But again it just won't budge.  Changed the address to #1 on the Walk-Around controller, and GP40 was off to the races again.  Frustrating not being able to figure out the issue.  The controller power plug is connected to a surge protector, so I don't think it was power related.  Who knows.

So all seems normal with the EZ Command Controller (STOP button, address changes, lights), just nothing with the speed dial.  I wish I knew why this suddenly happened.  I was hoping there might be a simple reset for the controller someone might know about.  Manual says squat.  I may have to give Bachmann a call.

Thanks for the replies.  Hope all your guy's issues are figured out as well.

Pacific Northern

Hopefully you have not plugged the unit into the wall plug without first connecting the unit to the track. This is the big "Not to Do", that will fry your unit most times.
Pacific Northern

riff99

No sir.  Always attach red wire to the track re-railer first, then to the controller.  Then I connect the black power plug from the surge protector to the controller.  That's a given.  Good of you to mention that for those that might read this and not know.

riff99

I'm going to call Bachmann support, but if someone can let me know whether these EZ Command Controllers DO have some sort of reset within them, I'd REALLY appreciate it.  I'm hoping I'm not the only one with issues with them.

Thank You.

Jerrys HO

Sorry to say there is no reset,I did not have throttle problems like you, mine new out the box did not work at all. Called Bachmann service and sent it to them earlier this Month. Still waiting!! for replacement. I am using a friends spare right now. Hope this helps. Jerry

riff99

Thank You Jerry.  I'm sorry to hear about your issue.  That's brutal!  At least I got to use mine for a while before this issue.  I kind of figured there wasn't a quick fix/reset for it.  It's just good to know my thinking was justified.  Oh well.  Customer Support seemed good about replacing the unit.  I hope it's not too long to receive a new one.

Cheers