News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Miracle in a bottle

Started by RacerAMX, March 31, 2011, 04:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerAMX

I bought a Bachmann  4-8-4 Santa Fe DCC engine  from the great people at The Train Shop in Santa Clara, CA. 
When I tried pulling a load of cars,15-17 40' boxcars. I wasn't  happy with the pulling power , far to much slipping  on a slight grade.
I was disappointed .
I bought a bottle of Bull Frog Snot and applied it to the first  and third set of wheels. I'm sure  I could have put it on all 8  drive wheels because of Bachmann's great electrical pick up on the tender, but just tried the four for a start.
The next day after it fully dried, it was like I had a new engine.
I  now have  38  40" boxcars on so far, and no signs of slippage.
I highly recommend it. It's a lot easier  than stuffing more weight in .

Dave

jonathan

While BFS does indeed improve traction, I tend to use it on just one drive wheel, preferably a wheel whose axle carries the main gear.  I find that application to one wheel makes enough difference in pulling power that additional wheels are not needed.

There is a balance issue to be considered.  Sometimes a little wheel slippage is OK to prevent over taxing the motor (opinion).  Current pick up is also important, especially if the loco is DCC and/or sound.

My 2-8-4 is an example.  I added just 2oz of weight to the loco.  I have read some add as much as 5oz.  I put one application of BFS to a left drive wheel (the one connected to the eccentric crank).  Before the tweaks, it would pull 20 cars with a great deal of wheel slippage.  After the tweaks, I have had it pull 33 cars with ease.  I'm sure it would pull more, but not necessary of my layout.

When it comes to BFS, I'm of the opinion that a little goes a long way.

Regards,

Jonathan

jettrainfan

Heh, i have a bachmann 4-8-4 and it could pull 26 coal hoppers easy... its when i hit the grade that the real fun begins! It'll slip,but it still will make it. There's a dead spot on the bridge, so it hits that and i loose all momentum. From there, i got to back my train up into the siding, wait for the line to clear to get my 2-8-0 to push, and continue the trip. Sad part is, its a bit small for 2 engines of that size. Hopefully i'll be able to invest in a bottle of BFS soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Geared Steam

It works great on large locos with tender pickup but I advise not to put it on an 0-6-0 or the 44 ton locos for example because as mentioned it insulates the wheels from electrical pickup.

jerryl

Has anyone tried rubber cement or silicone as a more affordable substitute?

jonathan

As I see it, the problem with attempting to use any other material is viscosity.

Other compounds, like rubber cement or silicon, are thick in small quantities.  It would be difficult, if not impossible, to apply an even coat.  I believe if you tried to run the loco after using a substitute material, you would get a wobble that would be unbearable to watch.  Second, the coating probably wouldn't last very long, as it would not adhere to the wheel long enough to be a useful benefit.  Haven't tried it, I just believe that's what would happen if you did.

BFS is pricey.  I often think if they sold it in smaller quantities, at a lower price, more folks would try it out.  You only need one drop per loco. A one ounce, or 1/2 ounce bottle would last a long, long time.

Just an opinion.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

This is probably why adding weight is so much more popular than adding traction.  Lead is cheap, almost free if you no where to look.  All it really cost you is time/effort and a little adhesive. Oh, and it's cooler to pick up a loco with some heft to it.  ;D jv

Joe323

Quote from: Geared Steam on March 31, 2011, 01:13:19 PM
It works great on large locos with tender pickup but I advise not to put it on an 0-6-0 or the 44 ton locos for example because as mentioned it insulates the wheels from electrical pickup.

I was thinking of trying it on a 44 ton Glad this was brought up I guess I'll just have just continue to MU it when it needs its.

jward

i wouldn't worry too much about the pulling power of the 44t. the real ones couldn't pull very well either, that's why small industrial operations used them, but the big railroads got rid of them once the union contracts for diesels were settled. they were just too small to be useful in a typical railroad yard.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jettrainfan

pennies are a cheap weight...  ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Geared Steam

Quote from: jettrainfan on April 01, 2011, 01:31:22 PM
pennies are a cheap weight...  ::)
So is lead split shot from the local fishing department.  ;D

Geared Steam

Quote from: Joe323 on April 01, 2011, 11:38:10 AM
Quote from: Geared Steam on March 31, 2011, 01:13:19 PM

I was thinking of trying it on a 44 ton Glad this was brought up I guess I'll just have just continue to MU it when it needs its.
Hi Joe
I did remove the bull frog snot from my 44 t, as mentioned, adding some weight is a much better solution for the small locos.

ebtnut

One thing to keep in mind with BFS is power pick-up.  On small locos, especially small diesels with all-wheel pick-up, putting the BFS on a wheel effectively removes the power pick-up from it.  On many steam loco models, one side of the driver set is insulated (the tender is the other pick-up) and you won't lose any power pick-up, so it is not much of an issue.  For a lot of folks these days, taking models apart is something they really aren't comfortable with and you do have be careful in adding weight that it doesn't short something out or interfere with the mechanism. 

Doneldon

Put the BFS on middle drivers, not the first or last.
This will retain the loco's greatest electrical pick
up range.
                                    -- D

Woody Elmore

Gee - when I read the title of this strand I thought it was going to be about Jack Daniels!

Doneldon

Woody-

Some people write about miracles in a bottle; the rest of us live the dream.

-- D