News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin Consolidation Steam Loco

Started by AMACH, January 26, 2011, 08:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMACH

I am considering purchasing a Bachmann, Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidations, UP #724 .  However I understand that these locomotives use a belt drive that might be prone to slip or wear when compared to positive gear drives. 

One description that I found on the Internet mentions that is has an "idler gear box" yet the Bachmann official site indicates belt drive in the specifications.   Does this loco use a combination of both belt and gear drive?   Could someone please advise regarding the reliability and pulling strength of this model along with the actual as-built motor to driver wheel mechanism used.           PS. I have several gear driven Spectrum steam locos on my layout and they have been great products.

ACY

I have several Spectrum 2-8-0's from 2 different runs, one was DCC ready and the other ones were DCC equipped. I never had any issues with any of them and some of them have a lot of run time on them. They pull pretty well too, but I do not have a new non-Spectrum version or a new Spectrum version with sound. I think the only difference is the old one has a 5 pole motor and the new one has a 3 pole motor.

jonathan

Amach,

I have 5 Bachmann steamers that utilize the belt drive system: two of them being the 2-8-0 Consolidation.  I run them all on a regular basis.  The cogged belt connects the motor to the worm, which in turn, drives the axle gear.

I had one 2-8-0, which had a cut, or split in the belt.  I replaced the belt (a $3 part available from the parts department), all is well.

The belt drive system is extremely quiet and smooth running.  All these locos are good-to-great pullers.  I have many hours on these locos with no problems, other than the belt issue mentioned above.  I have never heard of anyone else have a problem with the belt drive system.  So I would call it a successful design; also very reliable.

Even the parts department doesn't realize this, but so far, the belt size is universal, i.e. it fits the 2-10-2, 2-8-0 and others.  So, if you have a belt problem, there is no need to purchase the whole motor assembly, just get the belt.  I bought two just in case.

OK, I rambled enough.  Bottom line:  the belt drive system is very good.  If you run 'em alot, you'll wear out the bushings and/or motor before the belt.

Regards,

Jonathan

BillD53A

I own 50 2-8-0s, 35 4-6-0s and 15 4-4-0s.    I bought the first one around 1998.  Out of all of them , I had 1 wire pull out of a tender connector, and one gear wear out.  Bachmann replaced the drivers (free, IIRC) and I hardwired the tender connection.  I cant say a word against these engines, I love them.  The 2-8-0s are great runners and great pullers.

Doneldon

AMACH-

My experience with the 2-8-0s is pretty much like everyone else: they are a
good running, reliable model. If you are worried about breaking a drive belt,
keep an extra one or two on hand. The change out isn't a big deal.

-- D

AMACH

AMACH Replys: Many thanks to all of you for the descriptions of the belt drive system.  The fact that Bachmann uses a cog belt is very reassuring.  Cog belts are a solid mechanical design equal to gear drives. As an indication of their reliability they are used extensively in scaled up versions for industrial machinery and automobile cam drives.

When I posted this information request, I had visions of a friction belt drive. I recall running some of the old Athern diesel locos on my layout back in the 1970's. These units had a rubber band twisted 90 degrees that traveled around the motor shaft and then down to the drivers. The engines jerked and lunged when pulling a medium consist due to elasticity inherent in the rubber band. Bad design! Thank goodness that era is over.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: AMACH on January 27, 2011, 12:29:03 PM
AMACH Replys: Many thanks to all of you for the descriptions of the belt drive system.  The fact that Bachmann uses a cog belt is very reassuring.  Cog belts are a solid mechanical design equal to gear drives. As an indication of their reliability they are used extensively in scaled up versions for industrial machinery and automobile cam drives.

When I posted this information request, I had visions of a friction belt drive. I recall running some of the old Athern diesel locos on my layout back in the 1970's. These units had a rubber band twisted 90 degrees that traveled around the motor shaft and then down to the drivers. The engines jerked and lunged when pulling a medium consist due to elasticity inherent in the rubber band. Bad design! Thank goodness that era is over.

Some of us have been reminiscing about those rubber band drives over on the thread "Back At It Again."  ;D

ebtnut

Yeah, my fist HO model was an Athearn Hi-F drive F-7 that I bought at a GW Birthday sale for something like $6.00 when I was about 10.  The drive bands eventually broke.  I tried using the rubber bands that the orthodonist gave me for my braces, but they weren't up to the challenge. 

The Collector

I haven't had the "best" experience with the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0.  :-\ I purchased my NYC 2-8-0 DCC ready, and used so it was already broken into. About 2 months later I put a DH123 decoder into it. after a month or so the engine shorted out!?? So I mailed it in for repairs in February and still haven't got in it back yet. So, I can't really say there the best.  :-[

P.S.
( Does anyone know how long it take to get back an engine from Bachmann when you send it in for repairs?)  ???

Pacific Northern

I mailed a Spectrum steam engine to Bachmann for repairs on Jan 31st and am still waiting for it to be returned. I would imagine that after Christmas there would be a lot of defective items being sent back to Bachmann, given the large volume of trains sold at that time of the year.
Pacific Northern

ACY

If you send the locomotive in from December 1st to March 1st or so you could potentially have turnarounds of almost 4.5 months due to the shear volume of locomotives sent in. If you send it in November, you usually have it back before Christmas. If you send it in from April to October you would probably get it in 4-6 weeks from the date Bachmann received it. The early December to the end of February is very busy, it is as simple as that.

TVRRMAN

Chiming in on the Spectrum 2-8-0 posting, I've had two Spectrum 2-8-0's now. My first one was acquired back in 1998 when they were brand new, and literally run to the point that the connections between the engine and tender wore out. At that point, it was sent in for repair. the second unit was the unit sent to me from Bachmann. needless to say, I've never had any problems with these engines. I can honestly say if I had my dream layout right now, the funding to back it, and the unlettered Spectrum 2-8-0s were still available, I'd probably acquire two or three more easily.

Thomas J Pearce

jonathan

I now have three Consolidations.  At the train show, yesterday, there was a vendor who had a complete selection of new 2-8-0s.  His price was $75.  I don't need one, but I almost bought another just for the shear joy of having another B&O Connie to detail... you know... for when I wear out the other three.  :)

Amazing how such a great loco can be sold for so little money.  BTW the Heavy Mountains were going for $99.  He had a big stack of those, too.  It's hard to resist...

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

The Chancellor of the Exchequer authorized the release of funding for new acquistion, so I got up to Timonium yesterday and bought one of the new 3-truck Climaxes.  Those of you who know me know that I'm primarily in O/On3.  However, I do have a stock of HO rolling stock that was for use on our club layout before we got evicted.  Now I run it on the McKeesport club when I get a chance to get up there.  They are completely rebuilding their layout, and it includes a substantial logging line, hence the Climax. That, and I just think all geared locos are neat.  And yes, I have the On30 Climax that awaits conversion to On3. 

ebtnut

Got a chance to test-run the Climax on a friend's DCC layout on Tuesday night and am very pleased with it ;D.  Starts and runs real slow and steady.  Couple of things will need some tweaking when I get it onto a programming track - I need to adjust the CV's to lower the sound volume, and slow down the chuff rate.  It looks like the chuff rate is set the same as for the Shays at about 6 chuff per rev vs. 4 for the Climax.