Running DC controler with E-Z Command DCC controler

Started by Pacific Northern, April 16, 2011, 12:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I still have a few DC only engines that I like to run once in a while.

I have read the warnings included with the Bachmann E-Z Command that care must be used when running DC engines on the DCC system. Today I hooked up one of my Bachmann DC controllers to the E-Z

Command unit to run a DC engine rather than using the # 10 button/selector on the DCC unit.

Is it my imagination? Using the DC controller hooked to the EZ Command unit seemed to give me better control of the DC engine than using botton #10.  Also I could hear no buzzing of the DC motor.

Has any one else run the DC and DCC controlers together?

Pacific Northern

ACY

You only had to DC unit plugged in, right? Not both or the DCC unit. The last time I ran a loco using the DC controller plugged into the E-Z Command, I think my DC loco still "buzzed."

Joe Satnik

Correct.  

The DCC unit still puts out DCC to the track when the DC controller is plugged in to the DCC unit, which causes the DC loco to be audibly noisy.  

The DC controller only "tells" the DCC unit how far (long?) to "stretch the zero" to run a DC loco on the track.

Another advantage to having the DC controller (besides freeing up address 0) is the circuit breaker protected 16 V AC accessories output, which the DCC unit doesn't have.  

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik  

Edit:  Added "circuit breaker protected"  
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Jim Banner

If you don't need all 10 DCC addresses, consider using button 10 to control your dc train and use your dc controller just for running accessories.  If you use your E-Z Command with the dc controller plugged in, the power supply (wall wart) connected to the dc controller has to supply power to all the trains, both dc and DCC, plus the accessories.  If you use just the E-Z Command for running trains, then its power supply (same size as the one for the dc controller) runs only the trains while the power supply for the dc controller runs only accessories.  As Joe has already pointed out, which ever way you run dc locomotives with the E-Z Command (or any other command station capable of running dc locomotive) is via pulse stretching.  It is the pulse stretching, not the source of the power that causes the noise and is part of the process.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.