News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 Diagram (old standard line)

Started by hotrainlover, April 16, 2011, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear Mr. Bachmann,
Where can I download the diagram for this engine?  All the ones in the site are newer than the one I have.  Mine does NOT have any connections to the tender.  I want to install DCC, and need to take it apart. 
Thanks for the help!

(PS:  If anyone has this diagram, please email it to me at the address listed on here.)

richg

The below site "might" have the diagram.
Usually there is a screw around the front of the boiler at the bottom. I start there. Take your time and do not yank it apart. Some are impatient and do. Might be a couple screws under the cab. Don't know.
If the pancake motor. Don't bother going any further.
If not, check the motor current at 12 volts DC with your multimeter.
Isolate the two motor wires from the frame. Use the NMRA wiring code to hook up the decoder.
Probably will have to make sure one headlight wire does not go to the frame.
Install all wheel pickups on both tender trucks using the Kadee #5 coupler springs.
Might be a challenge if you have not done any decoder installs.

Rich

hotrainlover

What site are you referring to?  I have done several installs, including the 2 locos you sent last year. ( Thanks again!!)

richg

Sorry. Girlfriend wanted me of the 'Puter, NOW. Did not post the link

http://www.hoseeker.net/bachmann.html

Did not know your DCC experience. You are probably familiar with the loco mechanism then.
Motor curren will be the important issue then.

Rich

hotrainlover

Thanks Rich!!

I had seen this site a long time ago....  Lost it when I lost my old 'puter!!

Girlfriends.  WIVES!!

richg

Quote from: hotrainlover on April 17, 2011, 09:04:43 AM
Thanks Rich!!

I had seen this site a long time ago....  Lost it when I lost my old 'puter!!

Girlfriends.  WIVES!!

Don't know how to do it but backup your Favorites in IE to a flash drive for emergencies.
Some years ago, I started to use Firefox web browser and it has Bookmarks for Internet links. I store the Bookmarks in a Flash Drive in case my PC dies.
Since I now have a mini laptop and standard laptop, I use the Flash Drive to move the Bookmarks.
I also keep a external hard drive for all personal files.

Ever lose all your files because of a hard drive failure? I have. External drives are under $100.00 and Flash Drives are even easier to use. You can get up to 32gb the last time I looked. If not storing movies or music, that is the way to go.

Rich

richg

Too bad we cannot convince Bachmann to sell the two pin and four pin connectors used with the wire mounted connectors. It would not be difficult to mount those to a tender. That could solve the issue with you loco.
I have bought the ones with the wires from Bachmann before but the other half would be a great help.
Miniatronics has some but a little on the large size. I bought some a couple years ago but never found a use for them.
I sometimes use #30 wire with pins from a 8 pin IC socket that I break apart. You can also buy the pins in strips. Put some shrink over them after soldering the wires to them. The outside diameter size with shrink is a little on the large size.
SoundTraxx sells a wire assembly for steam locos but have never tried it.

Below are some possibilities. Store the link in Favorites.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php?cat=255

Rich