News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Blackstone Engines

Started by ebranden, April 05, 2011, 10:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebranden

How do you folks rate the K-27 engines that Blackstone makes/sells, w/dc/dcc/sound capabilities. I looking at purchasing one of these engines off Ebay, for $379.00. Our clublayout is a Dcc layout, but where our meetings are held weekly, the layout is strickly DC . I figured we would have the best of both worlds with this engine. Remote control/transformer control, + a great sound system. Thanks in advance .........Brandy

ebtnut

The sample Blackstone locos I've seen have excellent detail and are great runners.  The sound is very good too.  I'm hoping that they come through with plans to do the EBT steel hopper cars as well. 

WTierce1

Aren't Blackstone only Hon3 or do they also sell On30? B/C if your club uses On30, I would suggest not geting it if it is Hon3.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Bucksco

Blackstone models are indeed HOn3. The are very high qualty, exhaustively researched models that feature Soundtraxx Tsunami technology. Highly recommended if you are interested in that scale.

lostcreekrr

I have a friend that is constructing a new HOn3 layout and has purchased several of these locomotives. They look, run and sound fantastic. Go for it.

ebtbob

ebtnut,

I work partime at a trainstore that stocks Blackstone equipment.   About a month ago,  the owner told me that he found out,  in conversation with the folks at Soundtraxx(Blackstone comes from Soundtraxx) that the indicators show a poorer number of EBT hoppers ordered that originally hoped for.   Soundtraxx is in the process of looking for a different manufacturer for the hoppers than  the one normally used because that normal manufacturer would not do numbers as small as are being indicated.   So right now,  even though Soundtraxx said they would do the hoppers(remember,  originally Soundtraxx said they would do the cars if enough cars were pre-ordered),  nothing is still for sure.
      I for one hope they find a manufacturer who will deal with a small production run.   That being said,  it may become a fact that if not pre-ordered,   people may be hardpressed to find these hoppers sitting on store shelves.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtnut

Bob:  That's unfortunate, but perhaps not unexpected.  Since I'm primarily in On3, it isn't that big a deal for me, though I ordered a couple to help support the cause.   One of the pitfalls of modeling minor prototypes is the limited market for their rolling stock. 

ebtbob

ebtnut,

I still think Blackstone will do the EBT hoppers,  but it may be a longer wait than may have been reality in the past due to the use of a different manufacturer.
     Speaking of O scale,  why not push Bachmann to do the three bay hoppers in On30 with the adjustable wheel sets like they did with the two bay hoppers?    They have already done that car in large scale.   Remember,  a year or two after Bachmann did the O scale two bay hopper,  they re-introduced it in large scale.   Personally,  I would love to see the three bay hopper in O scale.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org