News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

H-16-44; B&O #927

Started by mrmtox, April 17, 2011, 03:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmtox

I have one of these pulling a dozen cars and it works great. I would like to make a longer train (I have the track for it to look good). My question - Are these locos designed to be able to work together in series; that is, will they pull together if two are placed in series?  I have heard that sometimes a slight difference in pulling power between units of the exact same model will cause problems. Anyone have any experience putting two of these together?  Thanks.  Mr. Bach-man - your thoughts?

Albert in N

I own an ATSF Bachmann H16-44 and often run it in tandem with one of my B23-7 ATSF Bachmann locomotives.  The H16-44 and B23-7 Bachmann Standard locomotives take much less voltage than the cheaper Standard Line GP-40, F-9, U-36B or GP-50. Don't try running your FM H-16-44 with a Bachmann GP-40 series.  To test compatibility, set two or more locomotives (without a train) a few inches apart on the track and run them at various speeds.  If they run about the same speed, it is OK to hook them together to pull a longer train as long as you have a larger powerpack (like an MRC).  If you are still using the train set power pack, it may trip the circuit breaker running more than one locomotive.  If you have one locomotive that runs slightly faster, put it in front as the lead locomotive.  Chances are that any other Bachmann H16-44 would run about the same speed as yours.

mrmtox

Albert - sorry for the novice ignorance, but what is an "MRC"?

Joe Satnik

Google:  MRC model train transformers
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ACY

MRC stands for Model Rectifier Corporation.

Albert in N

Thanks guys for the quick reply response and pardon my delay.   Model Rectifier Corporation is probably the largest source of DC power packs and also makes a line of DCC products.  I also own a Bachmann Spectrum DC power pack that has plenty of power to run several N scale locomotoves at once.   However, Bachmann no longer offers this product.  The small two part (plug in transformer with separate speed controller) Bachmann train set power pack is not strong enough to continually run multiple unit locomotive sets.