News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Consolidation issue

Started by en4cer, April 17, 2011, 10:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

en4cer

I am having an issue with my Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation, it stops running when I switch directions. I can put it on the track and run it for as long as I want until I stop and switch directions, then it seems to be dead with only the headlight operating. Does anyone have an idea of what could be going on with it?

skipgear

Is it one of the new DCC installed versions?

If so, what power supply are you using?
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

en4cer

According to the documentation that came with this engine, it is DCC ready. I don't know for sure if it is fully set up for DCC or not. I have been running this engine on my DC layout for over a year now with no issues, actually I have been very impressed with it's performance. As for the power supply that I use, its a MRC Tech II Railpower 1400. I did check for dirty wheel sets and gears today, I moved the motor armature with a toothpick through the cab window and now it seems to be running normally again. I'm assuming that I am having contact issues with the motor and brushes.

skipgear

If it is a year old, then it is not the DCC installed version. It sounds like the wire clips on the frame are loose. You need to remove the boiler to check this. Once the boiler is off, you will find a small loose zinc weight, under that weight is a plastic insulator. Remove the insulator to expose two tabs on the frame. The wires from the motor and headlight are clipped on there with small plastic push clips. Make sure the wires / clips are tight. I suggest a little additional solder on the wires to help them make contact.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

en4cer

Thanks Skipgear, I will check this out.