Dimensions of BAC81391 1:20.3 4-4-0 American

Started by Rail Cat, April 20, 2011, 01:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail Cat

I'm trying to find the length, width, and height of Bachmann Item Number 81391 the 1:20.3 4-4-0 American locomotive. I've looked all over the net and on Bachmann's site but can't seem to locate it. Does anyone happen to have one that they can measure or perhaps know where I might find the information?

Thanks kindly,

Cat

Joe Satnik

Dear RC,

From a review by Dick Shafer, GR April 2000:

The locomotive's dimensions compare favorably with drawings of the Eureka, South Pacific Coast N 3, and the D&RG Class 42 series. While there are some minor discrepancies, the model credibly represents the Baldwin narrow-gauge Americans.

From coupler to pilot tip the 4-4-0 is 27" long;

rail top to stack top is 7-1/8";

width across the roof is 4-9/16".

Applying a 1:20.3 scale, these measurements yield a 44'-7" length; 12' height; and 7'-7" width--all at or very close to the prototype machines' dimensions.

The drivers are about 40" in diameter; the pilot wheels are 22".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Rail Cat

That is very helpful, thank you Joe! I really appreciate it.

Quote from: Joe Satnik on April 20, 2011, 03:53:30 PM
Dear RC,

From a review by Dick Shafer, GR April 2000:

The locomotive's dimensions compare favorably with drawings of the Eureka, South Pacific Coast N 3, and the D&RG Class 42 series. While there are some minor discrepancies, the model credibly represents the Baldwin narrow-gauge Americans.

From coupler to pilot tip the 4-4-0 is 27" long;

rail top to stack top is 7-1/8";

width across the roof is 4-9/16".

Applying a 1:20.3 scale, these measurements yield a 44'-7" length; 12' height; and 7'-7" width--all at or very close to the prototype machines' dimensions.

The drivers are about 40" in diameter; the pilot wheels are 22".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik