News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman Thoroughbred v #44557 Turnout

Started by Ol Hoss, April 23, 2011, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol Hoss

I recently purchased a Thoroughbred set as a starting point. I have added track and 2 #44557 turnouts. The turnouts function correctly using their controls. The problem is the Thoroughbred locomotive derails each time it passes over the turnouts. Any suggestions on what I should check?

Jim Banner

Check the trucks under the locomotive.  The trucks are the assemblies that have 2 axles and four wheels each.  Make sure they rotate freely both horizontally and vertically.  They do not have to rotate very far but they must be able to follow the turns in the track and any up and down irregularities.

Check that the wheels are the correct distance apart in the trucks and the rails are the correct distance apart in the turnouts.  This will require an NMRA track and wheel gauge from your local hobby shop.  The back to back distance between the wheels can be off a bit and not cause any problems on normal track but at turnouts, it must be right on.

Binding trucks and out of gauge wheels and/or track cause most of the problems.  If you still have problems, don't hesitate to post back.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Hoss-

You might also check that your coupler trip pins (curved metal wire hanging below the coupler head) aren't making any contact with the rails. I don't know what type of couplers came with your set but I thought I'd mention this just the same. It's usually not much of a problem with the x2f / NMRA couplers but the couplers which look like the real thing can hang a bit low. If you find this is the case, just bend the curved piece of metal so it clears the railheads by 1/64 - 1/32 of an inch or so.

Also, make sure that your turnouts are perfectly connected to the adjacent track sections. Sometimes a rail slides over the rail joiner rather than within it and this can be like tripping the train.

Good luck!
                                             -- D