News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DD40AX I think

Started by mf5117, April 22, 2011, 07:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

Does anyone have any experience with this Loco . I'm giving a co-worker friend of mine some EZ TRACK and a transformer I'd like for him to have a turnout  I have some #5 turnouts, will this Loco pass threw them with out derailing . I just don't want him to get disappointed . it's a UP DD40AX I think his grandpa was a engineer and he just has it on a shelf with a few pieces of rolling stock . And has been wanting to run it .

regards mark f

jward

you are going to want to use 22" or larger radius with this locomotive. it should run through a #5 but a #6 would be better.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

Thanks Mr ward I had him a circle of 22" rad . ready and 8 pcs of 9" straights . So he can make an oval at least. I'll give him a couple of #5's but with caution . He's the one I got the UP Dash 8 service Manuel from and starter Key . I posted some pictures sometime back last year .

thanks again have a great easter 

mark f :)

jward

ironic you should mention the up dash 8s. norfolk southern is leasing a bunch of them and i see them roll by my door regularly. those and former up sd60s.....

happy easter

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

There is a line that goes to a rock plant near by where I live .They use BNSF's Dash 8's double head and a helper on the back of the string . I saw them day before yesterday .Was so cool .Why is it that some times when I see this string of hoppers there is only the engineer in the lead Locomotive and not in the pusher can they control all 3 Locomotives from one Engine I guess you would say . I'm sure there is a conductor and a breakmen . But I only saw them in the lead Locomotive ....

ACY

When diesels are mu'd together they can be set on three different settings, depending on what the situation is. So he can set it up to run the other locos.

RAM

remote control or dp.  It is better to have 2 unit on the front and one on the back than to have 3 unit up front.  Better train control.  Most long trains are going to that.