News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track planner question - xcad

Started by timhar47, April 21, 2011, 09:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timhar47

I thought I have seen stuff about Xcad, in here, and about a free program. I tried a google search, but wasnt sure of what I found, especially when all the gongs went off in the PC, so I stopped.
I am finding that RR Track does not seem to be calibrated correctly, as the plan that is made in the PC doesnt seem to use the same track pieces IRL. Hence my misalligned curve. Also after several requests, with no response from them, still no #4 Bachmann EZ switch added to the track library.
Does Xcad work any better, and are pieces up to date, and also what is the correct link?

Thanks - Tim

ACY

The only free ones I know of are Atlas Right Track & Anyrail.

jward

atlas rts 10 and anyrail are two completely different programs.

i downloaded xtrak, and i couldn't find any libraries. how do i access them?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Tim, I highly recommend AnyRail as having a fairly shallow learning curve (and that from a retired psychologist...or if I can learn the program anyone can). You can download the trial version for free (which is very limited in scope) and then elect (as I did) to pay for the full version.

AnyRail has worked well in designing those layouts you would like to build...but probably won't. My passion is mini layouts and AnyRail has proven itself to be an excellent planning tool in this regard. There is an extensive track library; featuring all the major players (although why anyone would want anything other than Peco is beyond me). Give the trial version a go.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

mf5117

anyrail is pretty good I used it .But it is limited to 50 track pcs , Then it will stop you .But has a good library of track . All make and manufacturer's and all scale's .I like it better than atlas track planner .A little easier to use . And the program doesn't really cost that much if you choose to buy it .

timhar47

I found Xcad Xtrak library - hit file, parameters. But they dont have EZ Track

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Anyrail.com is great. It's free, it's fun, it's easy to learn, and has extensive track libraries, including EZ-Track. 

I challenge anyone to come anywhere near 50 pieces to solve a track fit problem. 

I have yet to use more than 20 pieces at a time to find gap dimensions (fitter straight lengths needed) and overall table-top dimensions needed.

As a general rule for HO, I use 2" minimum distance (clearance) from center line of the track to the fence (on edge of the table top),

which is how a 22"R circle or oval fits on a 48" (or 4') wide sheet.

The owner claims his dimensions and departure angles are measured from actual track pieces. 

If you measure a discrepency, let us (and the owner) know. 

I don't think you'll find one.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

(Raiding the stash of Easter chocolates.)

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Len

Quote from: timhar47 on April 21, 2011, 09:46:29 PM
I am finding that RR Track does not seem to be calibrated correctly, as the plan that is made in the PC doesnt seem to use the same track pieces IRL. Hence my misalligned curve.
Thanks - Tim

Check the "Join Error" setting under 'Options' on the 'Options' menu pull down. Sounds weird having 'Options' under 'Optioons', but it is. Any way, it needs to be set for something other than "0.0", unless you have perfectly manufactured and shaped track. I normally set it for "0.10" to allow a little fudge factor to track alignments and things generally work a bit better IRL.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

CNE Runner

Isn't this forum great? I learned a couple of things about AnyRail (a program that I have been using for years) that I didn't know before...thanks! I do wish that I  the creators of AnyRail would include a much better library of structures. This library should include some business, as well as residential, structures...and not all from Walthers please (there are a few of us that build craftsman kits).

After trying the free version of AnyRail, please consider purchasing the full version. Useful programs, like AnyRail, don't happen by magic...the creators like to make enough on sales to feed their families - as well as be encouraged to produce even more productive model railroad programs.

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"