News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dc analog

Started by santa fe17, April 30, 2011, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

santa fe17

I have two new Athearn Locomotives that are DCC quick plup equipped . I have a Bachmann  E-Z command w/ DCC comand controller. My question is that the trains will only run on # 10 DC analog. I read some post that this unit will ruin the locomotives if I run it for a long time. I have Bachmann E-Z Track. Is that true? I know now that my trains are not DCC ,but then are they DC analog? ???

ACY

For $15-$20, you can buy a decoder and then you will have DCC locomotives. Without the decoders installed the locomotives are DC or analog. If you leave a DC locomotive on live DCC track for more than a couple minutes then you risk overheating it, and otherwise damaging the locomotive. This will happen with any DCC system, not just the E-Z Command, and not all DCC systems have an option of running DC (analog) locomotives. You do not even have to run it for a long time to cause damage, all track is live with DCC even if the throttle (speed dial) is at 0, so if you don't remove your locos or create a toggle switch to turn off the siding or something like that then eventually you will damage your loco. Also, you can damage an analog loco by running it for an extended period of time. I have had that happen once with my E-Z Command, but 99.9% of the time I only run DCC (digital) locomotives.

santa fe17

thank you very much. you answered my question. i probably will get a mrc 1300 or 1400 transformer. is this the way to go. i don't want to go to the hassle of installing decoders.

ACY

Quote from: santa fe17 on April 30, 2011, 12:34:07 PM
thank you very much. you answered my question. i probably will get a mrc 1300 or 1400 transformer. is this the way to go. i don't want to go to the hassle of installing decoders.
It really isn't any hassle, all you have to do is take the shell off remove the jumper plug and plug in the decoder and replace the shell. It takes like 5 minutes to do and your locomotive will run better, if you run them with a DCC system. But ultimately, it is your call.