5-pole motors in HO EMD GP9 DCC and HO Alco RS-3 DCC?

Started by Loco-Man, April 23, 2011, 09:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco-Man

Quote from: jward on April 27, 2011, 11:27:47 PM
while i don't have a gp9 or rs3, i do have a gp7. since the gp9 and gp7 are the same length, it is safe to assume that they use the same drive. my gp7 is one of the best running locomotives i have. it has a very good motor, and enough weight to pull 9 or 10 cars up a 4% grade......

i am in the maket for more of all 3 types, if i could only get to a shop that stocks them......

Yeah, the drive train in the recent Bachmann locos seems to be quite good.

ACY

Quote from: Loco-Man on April 27, 2011, 11:46:28 PM
I appreciate that you tried to answer though, even if it was a political answer.
What do you mean by a political answer?

Loco-Man

Quote from: ACY on April 28, 2011, 12:22:28 AM
I appreciate that you tried to answer though, even if it was a political answer.

I had asked if the motor used in the GP9 and RS-3 is the same motor as the one used in the GP50, which exceeded my expectations, and the answer I got was "we use the best motor available"  ;D

richg

Quote from: Loco-Man on April 28, 2011, 08:04:25 AM

I had asked if the motor used in the GP9 and RS-3 is the same motor as the one used in the GP50, which exceeded my expectations, and the answer I got was "we use the best motor available"  ;D

Right now it is a guess, Bachmann may not want to reveal all the details of the motors because of competition. Usually it takes a knowledgeable person to disect the loco and determine what the details are for the motor. It can be done.

Rich

Loco-Man

Quote from: richg on April 28, 2011, 09:35:15 AM
Quote from: Loco-Man on April 28, 2011, 08:04:25 AM

Right now it is a guess, Bachmann may not want to reveal all the details of the motors because of competition. Usually it takes a knowledgeable person to disect the loco and determine what the details are for the motor. It can be done.

Rich

The GP9 and RS-3 can be found at retailers already

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200586831117&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200586831286&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

and the competition can do what I did with my GP50: take the motor out and count the poles. The competition surely has qualified people to figure out even more technical details than I did. I only wanted to know about the motor in the GP9s and RS-3s because I would buy one of each now if they had a motor that performs at least as well as the motor in the GP50. I guess I will have to wait until a local hobby shop gets a few and I can give them a run.

jward

i don't think the competition is that worried about the motors in the bachmann stuff. most of them already build stuff as good as, if not better than, the bachmann stuff. and the few who don't really aren't that worried about quality.

and yes, when i got my first bachmann gp50 for my son, i was also impressed. my memories of bachmann stuff came from the mid 1980s trying to keep the pancake motored engines running on a display railroad. they truly have come a long way since those days, and are to be commended for the upgrades they've made to both locomotives and rolling stock.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA