News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine Maintenance

Started by trains24, May 10, 2011, 09:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trains24

Does anyone know where I can find some good information about performing routine maintenance on diesel engines?  I have a bunch of Bachmann DCC (GP35, GP40, GP38-2) engines.  Some of them are staring to squeek when they run and are pretty loud.  When I took some of the the bodies off, I noticed there was little to no grease on the gears that turn the wheels.

I see Bachmann has a few EZ Lubes, should I be using Conductive Contact Lube, Grease or Light Gear Oil.  I'm not sure the purpose of each one and don't want to use the incorrect one and cause damage.

Also, what is the best way to clean EZ Track.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

ACY

Conductive lube is for parts that need to conduct electricity, while you should use light gear oil for your gears.

jward

i would use the light gear oil on the gearbox, worm gear, and motor bearings. don't use alot, a drop will usually do the trick.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trains24

James in FL

Hi trains24,

Everybody has their own methods on this.

Personally, I don't lube a locomotive without a thorough cleaning first.

My method of cleaning...
Remove the shell.
Remove the trucks; you may have to loosen the frame half's to do this, some just pop out with slight downward pressure.
Soak (immerse) the trucks in 91% isopropyl alcohol using an old Cool Whip, Margarine, etc. plastic bowl
While the trucks are soaking...
My weapon of choice is CRC® QD Contact Cleaner.
Use the red straw in the nozzle.
Hold the frame in the vertical position, over another bowl, and liberally hose down (blast) all the old hardened grease, oil, debris, etc., from anywhere visible (rotate 360°). When you think you have it clean, do it again.
Inspect the mechanism for any fibers that may have become tangled around axles, between contact points, axle cups, contact strips, wheel backs, motor shafts, etc., and carefully remove with a straight pin or sewing needle. Be careful; don't scratch anything with the needle point.
Once done, place the chassis on a paper towel, or two or three, (paper plate works well here) to thoroughly dry, overnight is good.
Do the same with the trucks, an eye loupe or magnifier is a plus here.

Once everything is dry (I wait overnight)...

Lubrication...how much?...
I use light or medium oil on the motor bearings.
¼ drop.
I like Teflon grease on the worm; I fill two flanks, no more, and wipe the excess. On the truck axle gears one flank on each.  More is not a good thing here as most of the grease will be "mushroomed" out and will not serve any constructive purpose. Heavy gear oil will serve as well (plastic to plastic).
Contact points...
Although I never use it, contact lube may be beneficial between wheels and contact strips, and/or the wheel surface and the track; other members may offer their advice here.

I have been experimenting with several different methods (track dressing) offered up here on a layout in extreme conditions for over a year.
That's another thread

Utilizing the search function here on this board,
Search for user "hunt"
Use keyword "lubrication" or "maintenance".
The advice offered, is sound and has merit.

Good luck

jward

hunt does give great advice. he is one of the best resources we have here on the forums. unfortunately, he often sets his posts to delete themselves after a set time, so a search of the archives may not turn up much under his name. i wish his posts wouldn't delete themselves, as most of the time his advice is dead on.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

t24-

James has great advice. You can take it to the bank. I'll only add that you are likely to have more problems because of overlubricating than underlubricating. So...regularly maintain your trains but use much less lube than you think you need. 'Nuff said

-- D

poliss

Bachmann have a video on Youtube showing how to maintain and lubricate their locomotives.
See it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtW8Gx_WxL4