News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann track used outdoors

Started by MAGER, May 13, 2011, 02:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAGER

Why exactly is the Bachmann track not recommended to use outdoors?

armorsmith

Stated simply, it is made of very light weight steel stampings/roll forming that will rust away very quickly. For indoor use it will stand up quite well.

Best bet for outdoor is brass, stainless steel or aluminum, depending on the depth of your pockets.  Stainless steel is the most expensive, then brass and finally aluminum. Which you choose will be dictated by both cost and the operations you plan on. If you plan on track power, stainless steel and brass are about equal. Aluminum is ok for the conductivity, but it oxidizes very quickly requiring more maintenance. However, if you plan to do battery power where rail continuity is not an issue, aluminum is a real good option.

I am sure others will chime in with their take, but that is my perspective.

Bob C.

bobwrgt

If you just want to have fun you can just set up a temporary track out on the deck or driveway for a day just don't let it get wet.

Bob

snowshoe

It will rust fast but it actually looks good once rusted.  I have had a section outside for over a year now.  So far it has held up very well.  Sort of an experiment not that I plan on ever using it outdoors. 

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

I'm not sure the plastic ties are UV resistant.   Exterior paint would help with that.   

There are photos of a B'mann G track siding left out in a rainy climate.  (Hollow) Rail tops worn through after a few years.....

Rusted rail connectors don't carry electricity very well.  Battery power only, I suppose, unless a power drop is soldered to every track section....

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Sleeping Bear

UV resistance can be an issue no matter the brand  see....http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/track_tips.html           George has had an issue or two with other brands. Brass track will discolor to look like full scale rails but that can limit conductivity and Aluminum will oxidise and get a little rough with out maintenance and conductivity can suffer, as can the life of your rail. Area, climate and maintenance can and will play a part in the life of your track, but the only person that can really decide on the brand and style of track that is best for you.... is you. If you choose steel rail...and your going battery....oil your track on a regular basis... there are electrically compatible oils that will help if track power is your choice....Balistal is just one. Just wipe down the riding surface to remove extra oil to avoid slippage. Balistol is supposed to be UV resistant. I can, by no means, promise that any idea I give will work for you but they are Idea's none the less.  Hope I've been some help.........Later all.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"