News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

J 4-8-4 Coupler height

Started by Mark.S+10, May 14, 2011, 01:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark.S+10

I've just bought a N&W J 4-8-4 in N scale and the tender coupler is to low.  The coupler is body mounted so I see no way to adjust it.  I've looked at the diagram and don't see any shims between the tender truck mount and the body.  I don't want to put shims there anyway because that may interfer with tender electrical pick up.  Is this a problem with all of these units or is mine unique?  What can I do short of sending it back to Bachmann and not seeing it for three months.  Please help, thanks, Mark

mrmtox

I had the same problem with some rolling stock from various sources. I have a solution that you may not like (and will make the purists shudder). Take an extra coupler and snip off the shaft, leaving only the coupler hook. Use Woodland Scenics "Scenic Accents Glue" (A198). Using a very small amount of the glue, stick the trimmed coupler on top of the low coupler. Presto - a thick coupler that works. The good news is this glue is very plastic and pliable. If you don't like the situation simply separate the two pieces and clean the glue off with water. I've found this glue is magic for lots of different kinds of repairs and has the advantage of being completely reversible if the fix isn't adequate. Needless to say I recommend NEVER using anything  like Super Glue, etc that is irreversible!!

Albert in N

Why doesn't Bachmann test coupler height before making hundreds of units with defective couplers to tick off customers?  Several of my Bachmann locomotives (FM, GE B7-30, old time 4-4-0) would not even pull Bachmann rolling stock with matching couplers.  They all uncoupled from the first train car.  From similar posts and personal experience, I now understand why many hobby shops refuse to carry Bachmann in my area.   Quality control, or the lack thereof,  defeats excellent marketing.

mrmtox

Albert's reply is spot-on! It's maddening to hook up a Bachmann loco to another Bachmann car and have them come uncoupled constantly on the slightest curve..  However, I hate to admit it, but a tiny drop of my favorite glue (see above) on the two unstable couplers will solve the problem. Maybe Bachmann should start supplying some brand of pliable glue with their products? How about it Mr. Bachman??