News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coming threw turnout down incline

Started by mf5117, May 18, 2011, 09:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

I haven't ran my HO layout in a few months . My Gp-40 when coming down the incline threw the curve part of the turnout to the mainline throws a spark . I thought I saw a spark from the front trucks . I turned out the lights and sure enough ,one of my GP-40's is throwing a spark and then it sends the address to # one on my EZ commander .it doesn't short out but switches the address and hasn't hurt the Loco .right after the turnout the incline starts . looked but nothing jumping, coupler not interfering not sure why this might be happening . ran my FT-A up and down the incline doesn't make the spark .but the GP-40 sparks after the rail joiner as it goes on the curve part of the turnout and threw the frog. I can't see what might be causing this . haven't had any problems before until now .

mf5117

Oh and then I switch back to the original address and runs again , And goes happily around the layout just fine . goes up the incline no problems but on the way down it sparks from the front right side of the truck as it is coming and going thew the frog just a standard r-18 turnout . started out fine for not running for a few months . tried the FT like I said and another different gp-40 and ran ok up and downthe incline .

mf5117

I checked the trucks to see if they might be dirty or any lint. The track looks clean . I'm wondering if I might have alittle shift or expantion due to it being EZ track and maybe one of the the wheel sets might be picking up off the track .maybe the front wheels picking up and then the back wheels of the truck making contact to the rails .I will take a closer look at the track and see if there is any difference . I ran a GP-38 and a 70 ton switcher and they seem to not have any problems . Just this one GP-40

mf5117

I found my problem . The turnout curve had come unglued and at the start of the incline "grade rise" I have a 1/2 18"curve and there was some flex in the EZ track causing one of the front truck wheels to lift and then touch back to the track , causing the sparks or spark I was seeing . The loco was a DC loco I put a decoder in . And was flexing the track as it came down across the section of track to the turnout . Reglued and shimmed the track at the rail joiners and no problem . so anyways thanks for looking, wondering and thinking if you did .

regards mark f