News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FT-A derails on #5 turnout

Started by Jerrys HO, June 05, 2011, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

I have an FT-A unit out of a diesel commander set and it derails on my #5 turnout #44566. It only happens when I am backing  into the siding. Apparently the trucks look like they are hitting the ladder not allowing it to turn properly. Does anybody have this engine and have problems backing into sidings? Could it be a design flaw? I do not wish to cut off the ladder.
Thanks Jerry

ACY

Check to make sure your wheels and track are in gauge.

jward

one of the nice things about bachmann diesels is that they have an adjusting screw where on top of the gear tower of each truck. this screw is similar to the bolster screws on freight cars, and can be loosened or tightened.

i have had a couple of bachmann locomotives which had these screws too tight from the factory. if they are too tight, no matteer what adjustments you make to wheels or track will do no good. trust me, i found this out the hard way.

looking over the parts diagram for the ft, this screw head is in the metal frame, just over the gear tower. back it off 1/4 to 1/2 turn and you should notice the truck loosen up a bit. if your locomotive's rear truck was too tight, this should solve the problem......if not, let us know and we can try something else.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Thanks to both. jward I will check that out  but the truck seems loose enough as it moves freely but it hits the ladder on the body which will not let it turn far enough to ride the point it rides between the rail and the switch point. I checked all my other locos and have no problem. I still don't rule out the over tightened issue you suggested. Also I did not check it on my other switches which are all #5's and two crossovers will let you know what I find.
Thanks again

Doneldon

Jerry-

See if you can gently "adjust" that errant ladder.
Even plastic will move a little if it is gently (see, I
repeated that word, on purpose) urged to do so.

-- D

bobwrgt

Check the metal part on the coupler that hangs down to see if it is centered. If it is to low it will hang up on the switch. Might need to center it or bend up.

Bob

jward

the units i had which had tracking problems all had free swivel to the trucks. what they didn't have was enough forward/backward "rock" to them. that is what loosening the screw corrected.

by all means try everything else suggested by others, but be aware you can make this adjustment. by correcting one thing at a time, you will work your way to a trouble free layout.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Thanks jward and doneldon
adjusting the trucks took out about 90% of the problem. started with a 1/4 turn ended up about 1/2 turn. did not want to loosen to much. the other 10% was bending the ladder out a little.no more derailing. funny thing is it would not derail on my right hand turnouts just the left hand. thats what makes me think the ladder was a problem also.if you look at that unit the ladder on one side is offset to the center of the truck and the problem side is directly above the center.either way it is solved. jward i do appreciate that advice on the truck screw as one of my gp40's was a little tight.
thanks again jerry

Doneldon

Jerry-

Our models are pretty small so it doesn't take much of a misadjustment
or misplaced detail to cause serious problems like derailments. That's
why it is so important to make certain that trucks, couplers and track
are all within NMRA specs.
                                                                   -- D

jward

that's why i mentioned the truck screws. when i had problems i went over my loco & track with a fine tooth comb, everything was within nmra specs.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA