News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How do I fit DCC to a Bachmann EMD GP40

Started by ducky, June 08, 2011, 10:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ducky

I have just started building my first layout and will be fitting it with a Digitrax System.  The engine that I purchased is a Bachmann EMD GP40 and I have been advised that it will not run on DCC.  As I am new to model railroading I would appreciate any advise that I can get on how to fit DCC to the loco and what type of DCC I would need

Doneldon

ducky-

Any locomotive can be made to run on DCC; it's just a matter of how difficult it is to install a decoder. This is a five-minute job with DCC-ready locos. It's often more difficult to open the locomotive for the job than to do the actual conversion which may be nothing more complicated than plugging in a circuit board. Then there is DCC-friendly, which means a somewhat more difficult task but basics like an electrically isolated motor are in place. And then there's the start from scratch conversion. Some of these are still fairly easy but it is more likely to be a bigger, more complicated job. But you do have an option: the Bachmann EZ DCC system will let you run one DC locomotive which has no decoder. You could start with that and then make certain that any new locos either have DCC or are DCC ready.
                                                               -- D

ACY

Almost any loco can be made to run on DCC, there are a few rare exceptions. A DZ125 is usually a good choice or a Bachmann decoder if you prefer that brand, also just isolate the brushes and the frame (if applicable) before starting.

Jim Banner

I am not quite sure what ACY would have you isolate the chassis from.  I believe this locomotive is already built as a dead frame type.  That is, the frame is NOT used to care electricity and has no electrical components connected to it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

It was more or less a general statement, not specific to his loco, in the event he would also have a loco with a split frame design.

jward

whether a locomotive's frame conducts electricity from the wheels isn't really relevant to dcc. the important thing is that there is no direct path from the wheels to the motor. as anybody who's installed a decoder in either an athearn locomotive or a bachmann one with the soplit frame knows, sometimes it is easier to use the frame to conduct power from the wheels to the decoder through the frame. as long as the motor is isolated from the frame, there is no problem.....

looking over the online parts diagram for the gp40, it appears similar to the b23-7 minus the circuit board. two of my current projects are dcc in a b23-7, and replacing the dead decoder in a dcc onboard  gp40. i will post photos of how i did it when i get them complete.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA