News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

electrification of WYE

Started by dbowers, June 06, 2011, 04:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbowers

to use a WYE for reversal of locomotive in DCC, EZ track, should this setup require a reverse loop module on each leg of the WYE? I have the main line horizontal, then have two turnouts (L & R) going up to the two curved legs of the WYE, then the straight leg going striaght up the length of a full train. After going thru the right turnout & then up the right leg of the WYE & straight up the full length of the train , I then reverse the train down the left leg of the WYE thru the left turnout to the mainline. Now the train is reversed.

jward

you will need to insulate both rails on both legs of the wye. the tail track will be your reversing section, and you must include the switch as well.

you could use an autoreverse module to control the tail track, but there is a cheaper/easier way. if you are using the type of switch where you can use an under the table switch motor (atlas, tortoise) you can use the contacts on the switch motor to switch the polarity of your tail track whenever the switch is thrown. if you are using a switch motor of the twin coil solenoid type (i believe ez track uses these, and atlas as well) you can wire an atlas snap relay in parallel with the switch motor, to do the same thing. snap relays cost about $12, autoreversers at least twice that.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

dbowers

Jeff: Thanks for your response. I have just started back into model RR so am not familiar w all of the new stuff. However, I do like the Bachmann system and am going all the way w them w DCC, EZ track and stuff. When U mention switches are U referring to turnouts? I suppose so. I will b using their (Bachmann)reverse loop module since at this point cost is not a factor. Therefore would I b using a reverse loop module on each leg of the WYE after connection to the main line? Thanks for your help. dbowers

jward

no. you would not need two reverse loop modules, one will do the trick.

turnout is a model railroading term, being an former railroader i tend to use the railroad terms i was accustomed to, a switch is indeed what the railroad people call a turnout.

that said, wiring a wye for dcc is basically as follows:

the two legs that branch off the mainline are electrically one section, and both legs are completely isolated from the mainline through the use of insulated rail joiners on both rails of each leg. the reverser would be hooked up to the dead end tail track, you do not hook it up on either leg of the wye. the two legs and tail track combined serve as the reversing section. in the configuration i had originally suggested, when you throw the switch the polarity of the tail track changes. using an autoreverse module, it is done electronically. two different approaches to the same problem, either one will work as well as the other.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

dbowers

Jeff: Thank you so much for the explanation. I believe I understand, at last. As I said I am a real novice at this electrical stuff & I don't want to electrify ME or weld my trains to the track. One other question. I will still electrify the rails in the WYE complex just as I would any other rails elsewhere but they are all electrically isolated because of the insulated rail joiners but are electrically "correct" because of the reverse loop module that only needs to be connected to the tail of the WYE and will electrically supply the proper polarity as the loco passes thru. OK?

Jerrys HO

Jeff and d bowers,
Jeff knows I'm learning also but I have one question? Are you using two wye's for this configuration. It sounds like the two turnouts go into a wye if so then you would need another wye to reverse or a turntable and if there is two wye's wouldn't you need more isolated sections? The reason I ask is I thought of doing this also as a peninsula in between my u-shaped layout.
Jerry

dbowers

Jerry: Think of the mainline as a horizontal line. There are two turnouts, a left on the left & a right on the right, with both curved sections headed up towards each other . as the tracks progress, they each go up into each of the two curved legs of the WYE. of course this continues as one into the tail of the WYE. To reconstruct--As the train leaves the mainline into either turnout it will progress onto & into the WYE then continue thru the WYE into the tail (straight) part of the WYE. After the entire train passes thru the tail then it will be reversed & backed down thru the other leg of the WYE into and thru the other  turnout and onto the mainline . Now the train will be reversed from the original direction.

Jerrys HO

I get it now, the only thing I don't like is backing the whole train down thru the wye and turnout and back on the main if thats what I am understanding. I have a similar design with the main but I was going to use a wye coming off of the turnouts going up one line to another wye where it would circle back around the choose which direction to go from there. My other option was to mount my new bachmann turntable there and use it as an engine station.
Jeff I ended up not using my atlas turntable and ordered the bachmann one.

jward

db,

yes you have the concept down. the only thing is, the reverser must be in the feeder wires between the dcc command station and the rails of the wye track.  or, as a flow chart:

dcc=======reverser=======tail track.

jerry,

even though you will have a wye on each end, your configuration would be wired the same. you'd have to insulate the second wye the same as the first, but your reverser would be wired into the tail track between the two wyes. you only need one reverser.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

dbowers

Jeff: Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately, I am still confused on one point. Using the Bachmann EZ track 9" power terminal w insulated gap #44597, assuming I would attach it as the next piece of track on the tail of the WYE headed up ( with the contact arms open and gapped), how do I place the reverse loop module connections between the DCC power supply wires and the track? Am I correct in assuming all of the rails leading to and from the WYE are gapped(isolated)? I believe I do understand the reverse loop module connections in a true reverse loop, but the WYE thing still baffles me on how to connect it. Thanks again. Donn B.

Doneldon

db-

Yes, both rails of the track in the tail of the wye must be gapped. You should probably consider doing that right at the turnout so you can use as much of the wye track as possible. It wouldn't matter if a loco were the only "car" using electricity, but you might have lighted passenger cars or cabeese taking current from the rails. Or, you might back into the wye.

Incidentally, It is often advantageous to use an actual wye turnout for the wye track as both legs are curved which lets you build your wye in a little less space. And, be aware that you don't have to use straight track in your wye or keep it symmetrical. Avoid a reverse curve by having a straight track right next to the wye turnout but you can go anywhere after that. Wyes take up a lot of real estate and bending the wye track can sometimes help fit things in.

You don't have to use the insulated power track. You can cut gaps in any track (pretty easy) or use insulated rail joiners instead (very easy). Fill the gap you cut with a piece of plastic trimmed to the profile of your rail. Similarly, you don't need to use terminal tracks. You can use feeder rail joiners which have a feeder wire already attached, or solder your feeders to the existing rail joiners or even the rails themselves. Just be sure that you don't interfere with the flangeways.
                                                                                                                                 -- D

jward

Quote from: dbowers on June 10, 2011, 09:57:53 AM
Jeff: Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately, I am still confused on one point. Using the Bachmann EZ track 9" power terminal w insulated gap #44597, assuming I would attach it as the next piece of track on the tail of the WYE headed up ( with the contact arms open and gapped), how do I place the reverse loop module connections between the DCC power supply wires and the track? Am I correct in assuming all of the rails leading to and from the WYE are gapped(isolated)? I believe I do understand the reverse loop module connections in a true reverse loop, but the WYE thing still baffles me on how to connect it. Thanks again. Donn B.

think of the tail track, including the turnout and part of the two legs attatched to it, as the "loop" section on your diagram. you would connect the reverser to this "loop" the same way you would to a normal reversing loop. you would have 4 gaps in the rails, two gaps on each of the two legs leading to the tail. in other words, all rails leading from the legs of the wye to the turnout on the tail need to be gapped.

incidentally, i noticed the gap tracks are 9" straights. i am not sure you'd want to use these on your curved legs of the wye, as they'd make the wye take up alot more room. the extra space is fine if you have it, many of us don't. the work around is to either cut the rails on a section of curved track (on each of the 2 legs) for your gaps, or to remove the metal rail joiners between two curved sections, and substitiue plastic insulating joiners. these are available at modest cost at any decent hobby shop.

doneldon,
the tail track is not where the gaps must be. to do that would allow a direct short circuit through the wye turnout. the gaps must be on each of the two curved routes leading to the turnout. this way it is isolated from the main track along with the rest of the tail.

an easy way to figure out where you need gaps is to follow the track on one rail with your finger. anywhere you can follow the rail around and end up on the opposite rail at the point where you started, you have a reversing section and need gaps.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WTierce1

You do not put the insulated track after the Why. You put an insulated track on both of the legs of the WHY with the contacts on the bottom open. You then take input cable from the auto reverser and connect it to ONE of the insulated tracks connections on the bottom of the track that if facing towards your mainline. Then take the output wire and connect it to the other the connection facing your main WHY.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad