News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Axels on steam locomotives.

Started by rudy57, June 16, 2011, 11:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudy57

I've got three 4-8-4's, one-2-8-0,one- 0-8-0, and a 2-6-2. they all have loose wheels on them and the axels are made of plastic. I like know if anyone knows how the fix this problem. the wheel has a stub axel on it and it fix in to the plastic axel. I've try super glue and with no luck. i hate to have to srcap these locos. thanks Henry Jones
I'm Retired form the railroad and i model HO trains.

Jim Banner

Careful examination often shows that the centre piece coupling the two stub axles has split.  This tends to happen as the moulds used to make these parts wear and the stub axle become larger while the hole in the coupling pieces become smaller.  One way to fix these is to turn down the outside of the coupling pieces until they are a tight fit in a commercial size of brass tubing.  Then press them into a length of the tubing along with some crazy glue to hold them there, and reassemble the wheels.  With the split no longer being able to open, the axles stay tightly in place.  Sometime there is no suitable size of commercially made tubing just right for the job.  Then it is necessary to make your own.

It sounds easy in theory but in practice, you need a metal turning lathe to turn the pieces accurately enough and you have to be able to put the wheels in place "in quarter."  Quartering the wheels normally requires a quartering jig (NorthWest Short Line is one supplier of quartering jigs) and the skill to use it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Jim-

I don't have this problem myself, at least not yet, but could one use a thin piece of plastic wrapped around the axle pieces and cement welded?
                                                 -- D

Jim Banner

In theory, enough plastic would do the job.  In practice, there is rarely room for it.  Same problem wrapping with wire.  There is often room for the wire wrap but not enough for bringing the ends back together and twisting them.  Soldering the wire coils would work if it didn't melt the plastic.  Perhaps a single layer of wire wound tightly on then saturated with crazy glue and allowed to set would work if one could figure out how to keep the wire under tension until the glue is fully cured.  Having a lathe, I tend to use it and it works.  Wrapping with wire and keeping it under tension while glue set did not work for me but that may have been my lack of patience and not taking the time to design and construct a proper jig.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.