News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pre-Weathered Models?

Started by rogertra, June 14, 2011, 04:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

I have links  to kits but they are not Bachmann models. Do some searches for the scales you like. There are some on ebay and others on line shops. Some are resin models and quite detailed and pricey.
The wood and plastic kits I have bought are circa 1900 though I have some that would be circa 1950's.

Rich

Doneldon

The part that bothers me is that I'm weathering, too, just as fast as the trains are. Faster in some cases. At least no one is using me for a billboard or an easel. Small consolation, though. Maybe a little paint could cover the wrinkles and the larger-than-needed parts.

Seriously, folks, there was a lot to like about the good old days in model railroading but there's a lot to like now, too. I started with Lionel in the 1950s. We had Magna-Traction but no DCC. We could make our trains reverse just by laying lead tinsel from the Christmas tree across the rails and today lead tinsel is hazmat. We built most of our cars, if typically not our locos, and we could be proud of them. And we still are. But we don't see so clearly now nor do our fingers seen quite so agile. So it's a good thing that we can find most anything in RTR. There are still plenty of kits out there, both old and contemporary, if we want a challenge. I don't agree that everything today is better than years ago, though. A carefully built Ambroid, Silver Streak, Walthers, Suydam or Central Valley kit can be entered in train show contests and win. Today's entry level trains are certainly better than the entry level of yesteryear but I'm not sure that's true about high line items. The best brass today is better than brass of years gone by, and it surely runs better, but a tuned and detailed older model can hold its own against the newcomers at a far lower cost.

So let's not lament the old days. We can still partake of that era should we choose to do so, and we can enjoy today's convenience as well. Gee, that makes me feel good. I think I might have lost a wrinkle.
                                                                    --D