News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how do i weather my new e-z tracks....

Started by tige, July 20, 2011, 01:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tige

jonathan

Weathering track can be done in any number of ways, depending on your personal preference.  I do it like this:

For good adhesion, I have used regular testors enamel brown paint and a small brush.  I have also used acrylic paint, but it can wash off easily, your choice.  Just paint the rails, up to the railheads, wiping off the tops of the railheads as you go.  I only paint the rails on the visible side.  I also use the same brown paint to "dry brush" the tops of the ties. 

Then ballast, just like any other type of track.  The ez track takes less ballast than other types of track.

Some folks spray paint the whole piece of track and clean off the railheads after the paint dries.  You can do this with an airbrush after the track is laid and soldered.  I don't have an airbrush so this method is out for me. 

If you spray paint the track prior to laying it, be sure to remove the paint where the track sections joint together.  You need clean rail ends for good, conductive joints.

I prefer the brush method.  Admittedly, it take a long time to accomplish.

There are also weathering pens for track, much like a magic marker or sharpie.  A little pricey, but convenient. 

There are probably a hundred ways to weather the track.  Choo-choo choose the method that seems right for you.

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

You can wipe the rail heads with a little lube before painting and it's easier to clean them off afterwards.
Feel like a Mogul.

Doneldon

tige-

Keep the inside edges of the railhead clean, too. Wheels also pick up electricity there, too.

Don't forget to weather your ballast as it's much more noticable than your skinny rails. Spray a light coat of dark gray or black paint Down the center of your tracks to represent dripping oil, grease and other yucky stuff. Don't paint the whole width or you'll lose the effect. You want a pretty good coating at the midline, feathering out to the rails. You can add a few bits of weeds here and there with almost none on a mainline and progressively more on sidings and spurs. I toss some staple pieces here and there to look like spikes. (Yes, people do see them.) The shoulders of the roadbed are a good place to add more weeds and a little junk. Make the edges of the roadbed just a little irregular as they tend to erode a bit over time. You can also have a stretch of perfect, clean roadbed, even fairly clean rails, to represent a repaired area or perhaps the place where new track has been installed. Do this at a switch for track which serves an obviously new industry. Areas of new looking track do a lot to make the weathered track look old, but don't overdo it.

-- D