News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum FP40PH adding DCC/Sound?

Started by Artieiii, June 23, 2011, 02:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artieiii

I have a Bachmann Spectrum F40PH NJ Transit (non dcc version) and I would like to add DCC and sound. I sent an email to an online retailer and they said there was no room to add a sound board. Has anyone done this? I don't need anything fancy I would be happy with a cheapo sound generator perhaps n scale. I am frustrated because nobody is producing any HO scale engines for NJ Transit with DCC and sound. Occasionally I find a listing on Ebay for an Atlas GP40 NJ Transit with DCC and sound but I have missed out several times. I would be happy if I could just add DCC and sound to my Bachmann spectrum engine. TIA
-Art

ACY

You can add DCC, but to add sound you would need either a dummy unit or you would need to permanently couple a car to hold the sound. Well if you are talented with milling out the loco or accomplishing this (making more space) otherwise, then you might be able to fit something.

richg

Have you removed the shell to see what kind of room is inside? I had to do that first with a 44 tonner and 70 tonner. Did a bunch of measuring and researching at SoundTraxx and LokSound for decoder specs and speaker specs. I than did some cutting with a Dremel and filing to get rid of rough and sharp edges. Had to remove All part. Stripped it down to a bare frame.
I had to do the same with a couple Stewart/Bowser VO-1000 locos and a Walther's FM12-44.

Look closely at the wiring also. You should get a cheap multimeter to check connections if you want to work at this level. I have three of thee meters.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

There is no way around this unless you find a frame that can handle sound and switch the shells. That is a wild guess. I wish I could give you a better answer.
Someday, Bachmann will come up with diesels with sound but they have to do some frame upgrades which is not cheap and get SoundTraxx to make a suitable sound decoder with speaker.

Rich

Doneldon

rich-

How about mounting an airconditioner on the top or side of one of the smaller diesel switchers and put the speaker in it? That shouldn't be a difficult process and I'm sure the union would embrace the improved working conditions.
                                                                                                   -- D

richg

A few put a cheap $50.00 sound decoder and speaker in a boxcar and keep it behind the loco. But, then you need all metal wheels with pickups for track power and extra weight in the boxcar.

Rich

richg

I forgot about the dummy loco. If you have a dummy loco you can use, remove the motor and the gearing. Just leave the pickups on all the wheels to attach the decoder to. Not sure if the Bachmann have wires going to the pickups or slider contacts between the trucks and frame halves.

Rich