News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 smoke improvement

Started by WTierce1, June 24, 2011, 06:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

I discovered how to improve the smoke unit on the DCC equipped 0-6-0 tender locomotive! If any of you like the smoke on your locomotives here is a way to improve the smoke on the 0-6-0.
1st take the shell off the locomotive.
2nd, take the tape off the decoder and find the blue wire leading to the smoke switch and cut it off at the decoder.
3rd, go from the smoke unit and take the wire leading strait to the decoder and cut it off at the decoder.
4th, strip both the wires you cut (The blue wire from the switch and the wire leading strait out of the smoke unit to the decoder) and make a "hook" out of the stripped wire.
5th, If you look the two decoder power wires connect on screws on top of the split frame. Loosen the two screws up to allow for 1 of the 2 "hooked" wires on both screws.
6th, connect one wire to one screw and tighten it and connect the other wire to the other screw and tighten it. After you do that you should have the power wires from the decoder and smoke unit wires on the same screws.

7th, Make sure the wires are out of the way of the smoke unit and put the locomotive back together.
Test the locomotive on DCC with smoke fluid and it should smoke well if you let it sit and warm up. Afterwards It will constantly stay on. If it does not work make sure the smoke switch is in the on position and that should do it and if that doesn't work then you did something wrong.
The on off switch will work the smoke unit if you do not want the smoke all the time.

If you have any questions just ask.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Doneldon

wt-

Ignoring for the moment the whole issue of using fake smoke at all, I think your suggestions have a problem or two. First, a smoker that's always going will pull a lot of current out of your system, current that other hungry, non-polluting locomotives would enjoy. Second, and I could make a strong case that this is actually a good thing, the smoke unit will burn itself out pretty fast if it's going at full track voltage all of the time, especially when empty.
                                                                                                           -- D

WTierce1

Quote from: Doneldon on June 24, 2011, 11:29:40 PM
wt-

Ignoring for the moment the whole issue of using fake smoke at all, I think your suggestions have a problem or two. First, a smoker that's always going will pull a lot of current out of your system, current that other hungry, non-polluting locomotives would enjoy. Second, and I could make a strong case that this is actually a good thing, the smoke unit will burn itself out pretty fast if it's going at full track voltage all of the time, especially when empty.
                                                                                                           -- D
OK well I like it and that is all that really matters.

Doneldon

wt-

I absolutely agree. But if you like the smoke,
put a switch on your loco so the smoker doesn't
burn itself out when it is running without smoke
fluid.
                    -- D

WTierce1

Quote from: Doneldon on June 25, 2011, 04:01:20 PM
wt-

I absolutely agree. But if you like the smoke,
put a switch on your loco so the smoker doesn't
burn itself out when it is running without smoke
fluid.
                    -- D

If you read the instructions you see that I left the switch in place and it works.

jettrainfan

its not going to burn up in seconds, its gonna take time... but once it happens, it happens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account