News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding a Dcc decoder to a GP-40

Started by BigBoy4018, June 26, 2011, 10:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBoy4018

I got a GP-40 in a bachmann train set and I was wanting to add Dcc to it. How do you add a decoder to it and where do I get one for it? I also have a Dcc version of the exact same GP-40 but the number on the side is 3507 instead of 3500.

ACY

You can get a decoder from your local hobby shop, an online dealer or ebay.

BigBoy4018

By the way the pc board that is already in it has what looks like 8 holes along the board to like put something on it so does that mean all I need to do is just buy the decoder and just set it on there or are the holes there just for the heck of it?

jward

the bachmann gp40 is not a split frame locomotive, so the directions acy referenced don't apply. the 8 pin socket you mentioned sounds like a standard dcc socket. if it is, there should have been a plug inserted into it for dc use. if this is the case, any decoder with as 8 pin plug should work. i for one am glad to hear of the upgrade to the board. one of my current projects is dcc in a bachmann b23-7, which is a similar design to the gp40. it's taken me a while to figure out exactly how to install a decoder in that one.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BigBoy4018

the holes are along the edges of the circut board and i got the GP-40 in a Bachmann Rail King train set