News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engines in Consist

Started by motrainguy, July 04, 2011, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motrainguy

How many HO powerd engines (each with 1amp decoders) can one EZ Command Controller operate???

ACY

4 locomotives with DCC, adding a DC loco limits you to 2 or 3, adding a sound loco limits you to 2 or 3, having one set of track powered lighted passenger cars limits you to 3. If all the locos that you are running do not draw very many amps then you can run 5. Some people have claimed to run more, but that was only because they were extremely lucky, the locos were consisted when it was not necessary, there was no incline on the layout, and they were not pulling longer trains. The case in specific I am referring to is Mark F. I have 4 E-Z Commands and the most I could run with any of them was 5 locomotives at one time. The E-Z Command has 9 addresses for DCC, with an optional 10th address if you hook up a Bachmann standard DC controller, with a booster you can utilize all 10 addresses simultaneously.

Doneldon

motrain-

Your question, while an important and interesting one, has no definitive answer. The reason is that every locomotive and decoder is unique. Like items, say a particular manufacturer's version of an HO F7-A with a particular NCE decoder, vary only a little, but they do vary. Much more important are the multitude of factors which affect how much current a given loco and decoder will draw. Among factors are the length of the train being pulled by the loco, extent and direction of grades, curves and their radii, whether sound is operating and how much current that draws, whether the loco has been properly maintained and lubricated, how old the loco is, whether rolling stock has been maintained and lubricated, how long ago the maintenance occurred, whether you have headlights or car interior lights drawing from the track, the length and size of track supply wires, the quality of wire junctions and track connections, cleanliness of rails and wheels, and even uncontrollable environmental factors like temperature and humidly. And all of these factors affect every locomotive on the move, further complicating the equation. Even locomotives which aren't on the go might be pulling some power, adding to the complexity. Thus, the numbers cited above are reasonable general guidelines but I urge you not to take them too literally.
                                                                                                           -- D

jward

if you are at the point where you are asking these kinds of questions, maybe it's time you started looking at something a little more advanced than ez command. the reason i say this is that even if you add a booster to supply the current to run added trains, you are still stuck with a system of limited functionality, and no real upgrade path. you will eventually outgrow this system and have to replace it anyway. better to do so now, before you have too much invested in it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

mo train-

jward is exactly right. You can purchase an entry unit from another manufacturer for about the same price as a Bachmann booster. But you'll have much more access to DCC's features. And other manufacturer's entry units have a bit more power than the EZ DCC.
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D